Scouting Pics

Nemont

I was bored yesterday afternoon and a good friend of mine called to ask if I wanted to go spot fields with him. He had Tues. off and his brother was coming in to town to hunt geese. I figured it would be fun to get out of the office see some country. Wasn't prepared for the number of birds moving. I have never seen so many snow geese around here.

snowgoose2_0001.jpg

Snowgoose_0001.jpg

canadageeseinair_0001.jpg
snowgoose3_0001.jpg
canadageese_0001.jpg

That's a lot of geese or gooses or whatever. I've also noticed that all of the Elk in Arizona are down in the junipers early this year. Do you suppose this is an indicator of an early and long winter?

:cool:

The migration is actually quite late this year.

Nemont's goose population is most likely more correlated with the canadian harvest (or lack there of) and the effect available forage had on their migration route. Typically, snow geese and white fronts will travel across the north east corner of montana and the northwest corner of north dakota and travel south east along the rocky corridor and the missouri river.

Nemont, I hope you get a chance to go abuse some of those geese!

Nemont,
I observed on Nexrad radar a huge move through central NODAK yesterday. If interested I could direct you to that site.
WD

Nemont,
Did the link I sent via PM work?
I wish you could have seen the Minot site on Monday, an obvious push was happening.
WD

I'd love to hunt snow geese. Ive killed canadians in washington but never a snow.

Delw

Del,

If you ever want to drive yourself nuts you should go up to Canada when the snow first start coming in. They come in flocks of 5,000 or more. IMO they are Scizophrenic birds. :D A couple of friends and I went up there about 5 years ago. Put out 500 dekes and rags and then hang on because the birds come in and the shooting can be all over in 15 minutes.

But man is hunting those white bastards addicting.

Nemont

I used to hunt moses lakes and potholes in wahsingotn for Geese it was a blast there were 1000's of them up there.

I am trying to plan a road trip ip north in jan. maybe I will swing by montana,

Delw

Idaho, in Nodak the limit on SOBs (snows or blues) is 20 a day with no posession limit.

In the spring, we have no limit on them, we can take the plugs out of our guns and can use electronic callers. This weekend is the deer opener, but I will still be finding myself shooting some waterfowl saturday and sunday.

Hey, it looks like your numbers of snows are a bit better than here in Skagit valley. We have had about 2k or so for the past 2 weeks. I think that they are realy going to pour in this week. We have permission to hunt two areas just outside the game reserve, and man can that get hot.
Wally, does that site only cover mt. and nd. ??

Cam,
It covers then entire U.S.
try the link below
click "radar" tab, click "base reflectivity loop", you should see a map of the USA, any red dot is a dopler radar site. You can click on the dots and as long as you have a "clear air" view you can often see bird movement when sufficient numbers are moving/migrating. You have to putz with a little to be able to sort out clutter from birds.
Hollar if you need any help.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USNationalWide.asp?loc=usa&seg=LocalWeather&prodgrp=RadarImagery&product=Radar&prodnav=none&pid=none

Cam,
Ideally you need "clearair" for the best look.
At times you can actually watch the blips moving down the screen. Look at the intensity readings pink,red or white signify something "solid".
Knowing a little about the geography of an area helps as well (where the birds tend to roost). Look this morning at Aberdeen SD
You can actuall see an increase and decrease in activity in wads all around get off the water then land in fields.
I really have not been able to see much in the west.
Kinda fun to putz around with.
WD

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back