Scouting new area

kad1429

I'm from Billings, MT and will be hunting the east side of the crazies this year for archery season. I will be able to get out at least twice this August for scout but am very new to this. I have a decent set of binos and a good spotting scope and am planning on getting up very high and glassing, but the area is very steep and very thick timber. Am I going about this the right way? Will the elk be in the same spot come September? Or do i forget the major glassing and wonder through the woods? If so what am i looking for, and if I'm glassing what am I looking for other than the critters themselves? Any advice would help thanks.

I would use Google Earth, and study the area for spots that look good, then check them out when you get there to scout, rather than just wondering randomly trying to find a good area.

With living back East,That is how I do it for my MT. Elk hunts, and it has worked well for me, I have been lucky enough to get 3 Elk in the last 6 years. every year I have 3 or 4 new spots to check out that I found on GE, some hold Elk some don't.

Kevin

Re:scouting. Big Fin's podcast with Steve Rinella helped crystallize a nebulous thought I've had about how to find big game..........the first step stated was to beak down a map section into areas that from the onset of scouting have no interest or likelihood of holding significant quarry. Road proximity being the first criteria for elimination of ground to be searched. Once those areas are identified and eliminated as possible hotspots, then begin to think about what an elk needs during the time you will be hunting......cover, food, access to cows, etc. You will have significantly focused your efforts into better territory before setting your foot on the ground.

The advice i gave my buddy who just moved out west from Missouri was to yes look for the elk themselves but also look for rut sign from the previous year. All the areas I bowhunt every year are places with good rut sign new and old meaning they rut in the same general area year after year. Good luck brother!

Back