Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Scouting in July/August

bmontang

For a rifle season, say Colorado 2nd rifle does scouting in late July or early August really matter? Besides a great excuse to be in the mountains I can't imagine where the bulls are in July/August will have any bearing of where they will be in late October. Am I wrong?

For the record we have hunted the same general area for several years and I am completely familiar with it. I am not trying to not go, I am just not sure how hard I should "scout" versus enjoy creation.

Sounds like this is an area you keep going back to which tells me you have been successful hunting there in the past - correct? This tells me the elk are there when you need them to be during the season so it really doesn't matter if you see them in July/August or not. Maybe take the opportunity to explore a little more - maybe hike a ridge you've never been on or drop into a new drainage nearby....in other words, scout the habitat and don't worry about seeing animals. You might just find a little hidden treasure where the elk bed or feed or go to when getting pressure. In the process you might just stumble onto some critters which is a bonus during the summer months. Have fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back