Scouted Arizona unit 9 this week

ERMINE

I scouted unit 9 and a few other units south of the South Rim. It was my first time in the area and I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of sign in unit 9. I can see how it would be a hard unit to hunt unless you are a great caller hunting during archery.

At one point in unit 9 I had to climb a ponderosa to get my bearings( I left my gps in MT). I tried to use the hunt AZ app on my phone, it doesn't work without service.

My nephew lives in AZ. he loves unit 9, he has taken a couple of good Bulls out of there.
only trouble is it takes him 7 to 10 years to draw a tag.

Kevin

I have a buddy that has hunted it whenever he can draw a tag. I hunted deer there many years ago when I lived in Arizona. You are right about getting your bearings in some places. There are some big elk in that unit if you can get drawn. I think my buddy gets a permit every six or seven years.

Unit # 9 is one of the best elk units bar none in Arizona, if not the good old USA. The problem is as you say in drawing a tag. Unless you are very lucky you only draw only every 7 - 10 years. If you can afford to wait and treat this tag as a once in a lifetime tag you can really have a chance at a great Bull. Our group prefers to put in for lesser areas with better draw odds and hunt every 3 - 4 years. Don't get me wrong we still put unit # 9 as our first choice and a lesser unit as our 2nd.

That was what I was thinking of doing, I found some good stuff with a bit better draw odds. I'm going to put in for a havelenas this year just to have a reason to get to know the units in the north end of the state a little better. From the research I have done hunting in unit 10 is just as good if not better because you are able to get some elevation and glass. I am trying to figure out where one would glass from as it looked flat too. I have my eye on something with about 10% draw odds, not 3%.

Back