Caribou Gear

Scout Scope

MThuntr

Anyone have a recommendation for a Scout Scope?

I'm thinking of putting one on my 45-70 with quick detach rings. I think it would make for a fun setup. I gotta put away the cash but at the moment I'm considering the Leupold VXII 1.5-4 EIR but am open to other recommendations.

I'd probably be more inclined to go with a fixed power. The 2.5X28 fixed from Leupold would be my pick. Due to the location of the scope I just don't see one changing magnification all that much. Plus, 2.5X is probably sufficient for the distances you'll be using a 45-70. I've long wanted to try a scout setup as I too think it would be fun.

Rooster, it's an intermediate or extended eye relief scope (generally 9") designed for fast shooting and likely both eyes open type of thing. The other advantage is the scope is out of the way the shooter's eye and the massive recoil of a 400+grain bullet of a stiff charge of powder.

Tyler, you're probably right. The 1.5-4 idea came from a friend in AK. He is putting together his 45-70 for moose floats and that is what he chose. A person probably won't have time to make adjustments most of the time.

Back