Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Scoping out new scopes...

cdwyer07

Howdy folks,
I’m a long time Montana hunter. I’ve made shots with my .270 and .338 win mag at 500+ yards with 3x9 and 4x12. I recently inherited another .338, and now I’m looking at putting a new scope on it. I’d love to shoot out to 7-800, but to be honest, I don’t know what some of the differences are in some of the newer models with adjustable dials.
What is ‘zero stop’? I’m not doing any competition shooting, but I do like to spend time shooting and would like to extend the range a little. Any advice is appreciated. And Night Force is out of my price range, just FYI...

One of those dig sauers with matching range finder look neat. Pretty sure vortex viper would do everything thing you’d like. My problem is those scopes are huge not really my style I mostly hunt black powder, deer especially. Good luck on finding one you like.

Give a PM to Schmalts!
He'll get you set up!

While i do like Leupold, and they are really hard to beat! They are more out of my budget.
Lately i've been going with Sightron.
Although i'm really wanting to try out US Optics TS line!

Google "rifle scope exit pupil diameters" this is basically the usable light you can get out of a scope relative to power and objective diameter.

Divide the objective diameter by the power, ideally, you will end up with a number between 5 and 7. Seven for younger eyes, five for older eyes.

A 3X15 variable by 44 objective diameter scope, set on 15 power gives you a 2.93 pupil diameter, a lot of wasted light in all probability. 3 power gives 14.6, again a lot of wasted light. The scope turned back to 7 +/- power will give you more usable light. If the light doesn't make into or fits your pupil it is wasted light.

One of the upsides to using a scope is being able to take that shot a half-hour before sunrise or a half-hour after sunset when the game is more likely to be moving. Or even moonlight hunting Yotes or Hogs.

Some people say the larger objective diameters are a waste and do little or nothing, the math doesn't prove this hypothesis, especially at high magnifications.

Leupold with CDS. I dont dial, but for those who do and use the CDS, I have heard that they are very good.

Burris also offers a ballistic dial service too.

Last edited:
Reliability in holding zero and tracking are key. Heaviest and most expensive to lightest and least, while still under your $700 number: Bushnell LRHS/LRTSi, SWFA 3-15x42, 3-9x42hd, 10x would be my picks.

The Bushnell LRTS's are A LOT of scope for the sale price they're on at cameralandNY right now.

Howdy folks,
I’m a long time Montana hunter. I’ve made shots with my .270 and .338 win mag at 500+ yards with 3x9 and 4x12. I recently inherited another .338, and now I’m looking at putting a new scope on it. I’d love to shoot out to 7-800, but to be honest, I don’t know what some of the differences are in some of the newer models with adjustable dials.
What is ‘zero stop’? I’m not doing any competition shooting, but I do like to spend time shooting and would like to extend the range a little. Any advice is appreciated. And Night Force is out of my price range, just FYI...
You plan on shooting animals to 800? mtmuley

Reliability in holding zero and tracking are key. Heaviest and most expensive to lightest and least, while still under your $700 number: Bushnell LRHS/LRTSi, SWFA 3-15x42, 3-9x42hd, 10x would be my picks.

The Bushnell LRTS's are A LOT of scope for the sale price they're on at cameralandNY right now.
The more I read on these the more I like. Thank you 👍

The more I read on these the more I like. Thank you 👍
Another thing to consider is reticle/turret values. I prefer both in mil (base 10 system) as opposed to MOA. Mil and MOA are both fine, just don't mix and match. As in, you do not want a mil reticle and an MOA turret.

For your $700, you can get a decent Leupold! And not hate it later!

There is a reason Leupold is a top pick over Bushnell!

If you use different weight bullets for different game, a CDS does you no good. If you handload, and switch powders (looking for more speed, better accuracy, powder hard to find, whatever) the CDS is no good for you.
It's better to get a reticle that you can use to hold over.
Or, turn the knobs. (Another area i'd trust a Leupold over a Bushnell).

Bushnell is not the junk it was 20 years ago. The LRHS and LRTS were designed in partnership with GAP and occasional poster (and full time killer) Pat. They are reliable, heavy, and fully featured.

I know it feels weird to imagine Bushnell as anything but cheap crap, but these are not the same animal.

It doesn’t mean they’re better than Leupold model “X”, but they were specifically built for constant turret spinning on mid-weight long range rifles.

Back