Yeti GOBOX Collection

scope upgrade

Absolutely; no doubt in my mind... based upon my experience.

The VX3 3.5-10x40mm is a good one if your heart is set on variable. I've become rather hooked on fixed 6x scopes of late and they do everything I need including ringing steel plates out to 500 meters.

True their too. The Leupold 6x-40mm fixed is my favorite scope and with the LR dots it would serve you very well. Great glass and stout as a tank.

I had a VX3 on my M77 25-06 with a Timney trigger and Harris bipod. It was a great combo. I shot my an antelope at just under 500. That was my longest shot to date, wouldn't of been able to if I didn't have confidence in my set up. That and the warranty is why I am still a Leupold customer. You can't go wrong with that glass.

Great suggestions. To get out to 500yds you need to decide how you are going to compensate for drop; either by the reticle or by using the turret. Pros/cons to each, but whichever you choose would probably influence the suggestions you receive.

IMO, 9X is more than enough for that distance. Some may prefer more, but I doubt their shooting is any better for it at that distance.

I have this on my '06 and I love it!! Wish I had gotten that kind of deal on it though ;(

If you order today, you can get 10% off the sale price of a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 standard duplex reticle at Optics Planet. Total is $314. That's a bargain for a decent piece of glass with a great warranty. Needs 30mm rings though.

I'll also second a VX3. Best in class.

The problem with going "longer" is you need a larger objective lens which adds weight and you typically lose the low end. I have no use for a variable hunting scope that doesn't start at 3-4x. A 6-20x may be fine for long range target shooting, but it's worthless on a hunting rifle.

This is exactly what I have. You can get the CDS rings from Leupold for this model or better. Or, what I did was create a "dope sheet" which is a tablular chart for bullet drop, MOA and dial clicks. I shoot a 7mm Remington Magnum with Sellier and Bellot cartridges using 175 gr Nosler Partition bullets. Using Sellier and Bellot's ballistics data (bullet coefficient and muzzle velocity) I found an online ballistics calculator and added in my expected altitude, temperature, barometeric pressure, etc. this generated a chart that includes bullet drop and MOA. Now I know how many clicks up on the dial to compensate for bullet drop.

At the range, the rifle is zeroed to 100 yds. The Allen screws on the scope's elevation dial are loosened, the dial adjusted to zero, and the Allen screws tightened. Out in the field, I just dial up the elevation per the dope chart that is laminated at kept tethered to my rifle's forestock sling.

I'd seriously consider an SWFA SS 6x42 Mil Quad... Dang things are rock solid and at $299 a heck of a deal. Lots of good features for that price.

And 6x is plenty for most big game hunting. I shoot rocks and prairie dogs out 7-800 with it. I like not being able to see my heartbeat in the scope though like on a higher magnification.

Last edited:
Back