Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Scope Reticle style

logman

New to the forum
Just picked up a Browning A bolt 30-06 and put a scope that I had nikon 2-7 x 32 with duplex reticle on. My plan is to get plenty of range time with this setup. Next spring put a better scope on it and I have a deer,elk hunt in the works for southern Co.
My plan is to get out to 300 yards
So my question is stay with a scope with duplex reticle and shoot MPBR
BDC reticle
CDS system

Its going to be personal preference at those ranges. Different people prefer different redicles, different power, objective lens sizes, ability to dial shot, etc. What ever you decide just put some time behind the gun and you will be fine.

If all you need to get to is 300, I don't see much benefit in turning a dial. I'd go with hashes and keep it simple.

Theres a lot of guys the really like to twist dials and/or figure out the campensations for a BDC, but at most reasonable hunting distances, I'd suggest you just keep a good duplex and get familiar with the Maximum Point Blank Range method. In my opinion its the simplest, most reliable way to go in a hunting situation.

Theres a lot of guys the really like to twist dials and/or figure out the campensations for a BDC, but at most reasonable hunting distances, I'd suggest you just keep a good duplex and get familiar with the Maximum Point Blank Range method. In my opinion its the simplest, most reliable way to go in a hunting situation.
+1000

-06 with a duplex on my old Leupold 3x9x40 was 400 yrds to top of wide crosshair meeting the drop point to fine lines,bottom of fine line was 300...learned that tip from a Fed Trapper guy.

After using hash marks for a while I've decided that they are too busy for me, too much clutter in the picture.

Last edited:
Use your scope you already have.
No need for anything special at 300 yards.
REALLY no need for a CDS!
BDC, you need to match the ballistics with the BDC marks. The scope manufacturer will have some sort of info for X caliber bullet of X weight with X BC at X velocity.

Thanks for all of the reply's
What do most of you do if you are comfortable shooting to 400 yards?
I plan on staying simple and get good out to 300 yards for now, just wondering what works best out past 300 yards

If you are going to take a poke at 400 you should have some sort of ballistic reticle to do it reliably. The hold over method is pretty flawed when your bullet is dropping 24 inches.

One thing to think about with the MPBR method it that at some point you are shooting at the top edge of the “kill zone” and at some point you are shooting at the bottom edge. Maybe I am being to anal about things but I don’t like that at all. I want to give myself the largest margin for error that I can. I prefer twisting knobs myself but the BDC reticle can certainly work. both methods just require practice and verification.

200 yd zero, 300yds hold hairline. Don’t overthink it.
If you need to shoot farther a mil or MOA based reticle is the way to go. I’ve shot “ no dial stages” in tactical matches out to 1200 yards on 1-2 MOA targets using nothing but my reticle for holdover and wind.

Last edited:
One thing to think about with the MPBR method it that at some point you are shooting at the top edge of the “kill zone” and at some point you are shooting at the bottom edge. Maybe I am being to anal about things but I don’t like that at all. I want to give myself the largest margin for error that I can. I prefer twisting knobs myself but the BDC reticle can certainly work. both methods just require practice and verification.
One of the calculations in the MPBR method involves determining the target size. So if you ball park the vital region of a deer as an 8 inch circle, then set up your zero for a 6 inch target size you still have a buffer.

One of the calculations in the MPBR method involves determining the target size. So if you ball park the vital region of a deer as an 8 inch circle, then set up your zero for a 6 inch target size you still have a buffer.
Never thought about that. Still probably not my preferred method but if you are going to use this method this is the way to do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back