Scope Recommendations under $200

FairWeather

Hey all,

Looking to equip my Rossi single shot 243win. The rifle isn’t a precision rifle. I bought it mostly for the versatility, as it has matched 20ga & 22lr barrels and it’s LIGHT, so it allows me to do a lot with one gun…but Jack of all trades, master of none. So, I’m not trying to break the bank on an optic that outperforms the rifle and $200 is about my max on this.

Use will be for blacktail deer, shots 300yds or less, I don’t trust myself to shoot well enough past that (longest range I have access to is 100yd).

The Sig buckmaster and Burris fullfield have caught my eye. Anyone have experience with those? What is people’s preference for scopes in this range? I’d love to hear what you all have to recommend.

I've had one burris scope in my life, still have it. Used it on my 338 for probably 15 years and it worked great. Was a compact 2-7 but it did fog up on me on my AK sheep hunt, thankfully after I killed my ram. Sent it back and they fixed it free of charge, probably used it another 10 years after that.

I would think for a set it and forget it scope and based on sample size of 1, I would buy another burris for the application you're describing.

I was looking for a moderate priced scope last year. I bought a burris fullfield IV. It held zero through quite a few range sessions, flying west, hunting antelope for a week, flying home and deer season.
It's not great glass, but plenty bright for low light and what I would consider a good budget hunting scope.
I bought a burris E1this year and it's not as good a scope, noticeable difference in quality to my eye.

The Sig Sauer Buckmaster line is great bang for your buck.

Also check MidwayUSA for Vortex Optics sales. I'd post a link but would get yelled at. Go to Midway/ Optics/ Riflescopes/ Centerfire/ Sort by "Percent Discount". I have a Crossfire II that gets the job done, a Diamondback that's a noticeable step up, and a Viper that's nicer still. The thing I notice between them is the clarity, eye relief, and brightness at max magnification.

Worth checking fleabay to see what kind of used Nikon scopes are around at the moment.

I’ve used two over the years. Both weigh under 1lb and one held zero fine after being dropped from a tailgate. Eye relief is great too.

Look specifically for the Prostaff and Monarch line. They made some lower cost lines as well (Buckmasters), but I don’t have an experience with them.

Prices are a little inflated since they stopped manufacturing them, but they’re great, inexpensive rifle scopes if you can find em.

Worth checking fleabay to see what kind of used Nikon scopes are around at the moment.

I’ve used two over the years. Both weigh under 1lb and one held zero fine after being dropped from a tailgate. Eye relief is great too.

Look specifically for the Prostaff and Monarch line. They made some lower cost lines as well (Buckmasters), but I don’t have an experience with them.

Prices are a little inflated since they stopped manufacturing them, but they’re great, inexpensive rifle scopes if you can find em.
I've got a couple of those and they have been a great value

I’m perpetually on the search for a CDS VX-2, but also really like the Nikons for what they are, reliable and inexpensive riflescopes that get r’ done.
I have one VX2 that didn't have CDS when new. The custom shop can retrofit a dial. I had mine done in CDS profile marked in MOA. This particular scope has been on top of a hard hunted RUM for 20 years. They are tough. mtmuley

I have one VX2 that didn't have CDS when new. The custom shop can retrofit a dial. I had mine done in CDS profile marked in MOA. This particular scope has been on top of a hard hunted RUM for 20 years. They are tough. mtmuley
Is the custom shop still doing that? I haven't looked recently but, they were on hold for al custom work.

I've had great luck with VX1, and VX2s. There was a 2-7 VX1 on 24hr campfire yesterday for 225. I've got two of them and like them fine.

Weaver Grandslam scopes are way under rated IMO. Have a couple of them as well. Weaver went tits up a few hole back and discontinued them. Not sure on their warranty on them. But for $200 I'd take a risk.. One thing about Leupold is they have a transferable warranty that's good for ever.

Vortex is garbage. They have a "great" warranty because you'll need it.

Is the custom shop still doing that?
Not sure. The other VX2's I have are more recent models and came equipped with a dial. My first one was done a long time ago. Leupold had to use internals from a different model that had CDS as an option. I might be lucky but I've twisted the shit out of that scope. And drug it through some nasty stuff. mtmuley

I had one vx2 retrofitted to CDS and then was told they no longer did that when I tried again a couple of years ago. If they are now doing it again please speak up!

I’d be looking at the used market for a Leupold 4x of some model, a VX-1, VX-2, or a Redfield Revolution (which I believe was a rebranded VX-1). These options are still out there!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back