Scope Questions

HowaMini

I need to add a couple of scopes and wondered if anyone had any insite on these models. Mainly clarity and how they compare to other scopes that you have looked thru.

Weaver Grand Slam 2-8x36
Luepold VX2 3.5-10

Nikon Monarch 5 3-15x42
Bushnell Trophy Xtreme 2.5-15x50

Burris Veracity 2-10X42

I know all about buy once, cry once, you get what you pay for etc. That really doesn't matter here. One scope is going on a backup/loaner rifle and the other is going on a varmint rifle that isn't going to be shot at the last minute of shooting hours. I just need to add a couple of scopes with around a $300.00 budget and I'm more into buying sales or closeouts than used.

I'm really not crazy about the Leupold because I'm trying to go to all 30mm tubes.

The Weaver is going on a specific rifle with 1 inch rings.

If clarity is your concern go to your local big box hunting store/gun store and look thru them all. Most all of those places have a display rack with scopes for just that reason. If not on the rack ask to open the box and look thru them. Doubt anyone would tell you no. If they do it's not the scope/store for you.

I'm very impressed with the Weaver I have, but it's not the model you are looking at. So much so that I'm getting a Weaver K6 to put on a 243 for my boys. I have an older Nikon Buckmaster scope that has been very good as well. I'd probably lean that way over the comparable Bushnell. From what I have read Bushnell is very good at their top end, but it drops off significantly after that.

Since you are wanting 30mm scopes, have you checked out the Super Sniper scopes from SWFA? They have some fixed powers in your price range that I think would be wicked good on a varmint gun, specifically the 10X. Their reputation for tracking stands up with any makers.
https://swfa.com/catalog/product/view/id/111420/

As an aside, toughness, ability to hold zero, and tracking are all things that I put ahead of "clarity" in a rifle scope. I've yet to not be able to make a shot from any modern riflescope because of noting being able to see the target. I have missed shots because scopes got knocked off zero and gotten frustrated trying to site in scopes that don't track well... FWIW.

Last edited:
I've had a weaver and a Nikon in the past and they were pretty good for there time. The low and fixed power Weaver's were legends when I was growing up. With optics what was going on ten years ago might not be relevant today with these mid or lower level brands. I've been looking at the 6x and 10x SWFA also. That's a option for my 223.

The Bushnell was completely off my radar. I just assumed if they weren't the higher end they were junk. Looking at Chuck Hawks quality comparisons and the reviews is what got me thinking about the Bushnell.

I'm also kind of a experimenter. I like to know how one brand compares to another.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.

Lots of good glass out there nowadays. I like the Burris and the Nikon lines right now. I would (like someone else said) go and look through a ton of different ones before buying. You also might check with Schmallts on here "Predator Optics" he usually has real nice deals.

Why a 30mm tube?

I've got a couple already and just need to scope two rifles that I traded for. If they are all 30mm I can swap the scopes around easier when I get a chance to update later. I'm not big on having a bunch of guns so it's really not that big of a deal cost wise to pay a little extra for two scopes. The next rifle on my radar is finding a nice 760 pump to rebore into a 9.3x62 then I am probably done other than a barrel or upper for my AR.

It's also partly cosmetic, after putting the first one on a rifle I just liked the way it looked:hump:

I'd try to find a closeout deal on a Leupold VXR.

...chek with schmalts (predator optics)....his prices/service are hard to beat

I'd try to find a closeout deal on a Leupold VXR.

...chek with schmalts (predator optics)....his prices/service are hard to beat

That's really good advice and I like the thought of something with CDS for my 338. Leupold is so complicated on what your actually getting glass wise unless you buy new. I guess the VX2 was later updated to the VX3 glass and the VXR is somewhat comparable glass wise, just with a 30mm tube.

I'm working on understanding the Leupold line so I recognize a bargain when I see it. Burris is probably my favorite. I think you get a lot of bang for your buck there.

really check out the SWFA SS. They are amazing scopes for the price.

Another vote for the SWFA SS.... I have a 6x42 Mil Quad and dig it.

Look at some Redfield scopes, Leupold makes them. Have one on a mini 14 and it is very accurate and pretty darn clear. Like the accurange reticle too.

+1 on the SWFA SS scopes as they are a really good value. For the money, their glass is clear with good resolution and turrets provide precision, repeatable dialing. Most of all, I like their MOA quad reticle for hunting and have replaced scopes on my 7mm-08 with an SS 6x42 and my 300 Win Mag with an SWFA SS 10x42. SS glass compares well with my Leupold VX II, Nikon and even a much higher priced Sightron SIII scopes at the same magnification.

IMO you're handicapping yourself if you solely want a 30mm tube. It's not really needed for hunting IMO unless you're shooting long ranges and have a need for the extra adjustments. Even if you want to swap, you only have to change rings. I'd go with the:
#1 Leupold
#2 Nikon
#3 Burris

I have a VX2 on my new 30-06. I had it on my .300 winmag and it had no trouble holding zero. The clarity in low light was pretty good. Mine is a 1 inch tube, though.

I had a Redfield Revolution on an old 30-06 that came as a package on a Ruger American and it was a great scope for the money.

I have a VX2 2.5-12 on my 22-250 but have since bought 2 VX3i and one of them is a 30mm. I also have a couple Nikon, Zeiss Terra, Burris, and a Minox. As you can see I favor Leupold. I really don't have anything bad to say about the other brands. I just think Leupold is hard to top. If money were not an option I would own nothing but Schmidt & Bender... they are the best scopes in every way and I won't argue about it. You can either agree with me or you can be wrong...the choice is yours!

I'm thinking the 6x SWFA is going to be one scope I try on my Howa Mini. If I want more power later, I can put it on my 22:hump:

I've got a vx2 4-12x50. It's a great scope for the money. Doesn't gather quite all the light my vx3 does at dusk/dawn. Just got a new viper pst in so I will compare them soon.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back