Scope Question

JMG

Hello, all.

Can anyone recommend a "good" scope in the $200 to $400 range. I would be more interested in a variable scope, but a fixed would be fine. What "power" scope would you recommend for a fixed scope and why?

Thanks.

JMG

Leupold vxII 3x9-40 or a Leupold fixed 6. Have a fixed 6 on a 308 its my wifes but I've used it a time or 2. It works great from close range out there to 400 yards at least thats the farthest I've target shot with it.

Also have Burris, Vortex and Pentax scopes that I haven't had any problems with. Go somewhere you can look through some scopes and see what you like.

If I was going to buy used I think Leupold and Vortex both have lifetime warranty's.

Check out KONUS. All of their scopes come with a lifetime warranty, and if you purchase one directly off of their website, you can save some money on the price and shipping. I have two of them, both have lighted reticles, and I can see through them a lot better than my Leupold or my Nikkon. One is mounted on a .300wsm, and the other on a .220 swift. I don't plan to ever buy any other brand of scope again, and any of my other brands that ever have to be replaced will be with the Konus!

Leupold VX-II, Nikon Monarch, Vortex Viper are all good choices. I would look in the 3-9, 3.5-10, or 2.5-10 ranges and a 40mm obj lense.

Make sure you allow enough budget for good quality mounts (I like Leupold or Talley). When I was in college I worked in a sporting goods store, and most dissatisfied customers issues with their new rifle/scope, had to do with crappy or poorly installed mounts.

In your price range I would suggest a Bushnell Trophy XLT scope. I have one that's a 6-18x with adjustable objective and really like it.

If I'm not mistaken a VXIII 3.5x10x40 is running 399 on sale at the moment. Check with Schmalts at Predator Optics.

This summer I picked up a Meopta Meopro 3x9x42 with the german #4 reticle. I really like it so far. I bought it on sale for $325. It's very bright, clear, adjustments are uniform. I have put about 200 rds through the rifle its on this summer and it has held zero. I know its not much of a test, but so far I am impressed with it.

I also have a 2.5x8x32 Zeiss Conquest on my 9.3x62. I have had it for several years and it is a really nice scope for the money. It's bright, sharp, and I haven't had to touch it since I mounted it on my rifle. Its been through several trips and hundreds of rounds through my 9.3, that has a fair amount of recoil.

Here's a link for the Outdoor Life review of the Meopta's

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2005/02/great-scopes-good-prices-leupold-and-meopta

I don't currently own a Leupold, but I have hunted with them in the past. They are generally tough as nails. When I was shopping for new scopes for my rifles, I was impressed with the brightness of the Meopta and the Zeiss, but I don't think you can go wrong with either of the two listed above or a Leupold VX-3.

If possible, I would narrow down the exact features, power, and size you want then try to compare the finalist next to each other.

The Bushnell Elite is a great scope as is the Nikon line. I have both and they are great. I have a Nikon Buckmaster on my 6mm Remington and it stays on the mark and is good and clear. I have killed over 80 deer with it in the last three years and it has stayed on the mark.

There are lots of good optics anymore and that does not make the choice easy.

Anymore, I would go with a fixed 6x Leupold and an elevation turret. My faith in "hunting" variable scopes is low.

Just bought a Leupold VX-3 CDS 3.5 X 10..$ 473.00 minus 80.00 mail in rebate..
brings it in under 400.00

Lots of good recommendations above.
The all around standard answer to that question is a good old Leupold VX II, 3X9X40, or find a VX III 3.5 X10X40 on sale.
A better answer might come with a little more information.

What are you going to hunt, or shoot at ?
What type of gun, in what caliber will you be mounting it on ?

I see your are from Montana, is it safe to assume you will be putting it on a bolt action in some mid bore, medium fast caliber like a 30-06, .270 or 7mm, and hunting deer and/or elk ? Get the above mentioned Leupold. You might find slightly better optics in the same price range, but you won’t find a tougher scope with a better warrantee.

Another vote for the VX II !
The next scope I will buy will be a fixed. Of course I hunt deer in NC, which is generally close range, but I have found that I never take my scope off of 4x. That is for deer under my stand to 250 yards. If I were to anticipate shooting further on a regular basis, I might go with a 6x fixed.

Back