Scope for my new Henry 45-70

A207X2

I'm going to be putting a scope on my new Henry Classic 45-70 rifle. I'm planning on using the rifle itself for < 200 yard shooting. With that as the background, I'm going to go with another Leupold scope. I currently have a VX-5HD 3-15X44 CDS-ZL2 SIDE FOCUS HTMR on my Browning 30-06. What I'm going back and forth about is whether to put the same scope (except this time with a Firedot reticle) on the Henry, or to put the VX-3HD 3.5-10X50 CDS-ZL ILLUM. FIREDOT TWILIGHT HUNTER on it.

I'm leaning towards the VX-5 vs the VX-3, but would like to hear from others on what you would recommend. Is the 50mm objective on the VX-3 worth the trade off vs the better overall optics of the 40mm objective on the VX-5? Thanks.

I'd go with something like this, https://www.leupold.com/vx-5hd-1-5x24-metric-illum-firedot-4-fine-riflescope. If you plan on limiting your shots to <200yds, this would be ideal and look pretty cool on a Henry lever gun.
Yeah, I looked at that one really hard. One thing I was taking into consideration is that in a pinch (i.e. something happens to my scope on the Browning) I could use this scope as a backup, and the 1-5 might not be enough glass in that role. Another person made a good point similar to yours: the 50mm objective would look like a telescope on the lever gun. After thinking about that, I'm backing off of the 50mm and considering the VX-5HD 2-10x42 Firedot. I really like the VX-5HD glass.

Don't think that would be a worry for me at all. Priority for me when setting up a rifle is balance and esthetics. In a pinch, that scope would work great on your '06, many, many animals have been killed with the '06 with straight 4x scopes.

MAKE sure you have plenty of eye relief!
I have 5 stitches over my eye to prove the statement.
I have a Marlin and shoot buffalo bore and hot hand loads.
A good limb saver is recommended too.
Wow! That’s quite the recoil. I love BuffaloBore ammo. Use it in my 30-06, and my .45 ACP as defensive loads. Will be shooting it in my Henry when moose hunting.

I’ve got the skinner peep sight on my 45 Colt Henry. Works well out to 100 yards.

This is the one I was originally going to put on.

View attachment 205692

Skinner Peep Sight
Nice & clean.
I was thinking more the quigley type...but I don't even know if I could use one of those these days. I need reading glasses now & that really screws with up close things,like the rear peep. Now, I think I could see with a duece sight still....lol 2" ring with a crosshair.

UPDATE: I got the Skinner Express sight in brass and it looks beautiful. I also got the Talley Quick Disconnect Scope Rings and decided to go with the Leupold VH-5HD 1-5x24 with the Firedot reticle. I just ordered the scope today. It was a little more than the VX-3HD, but from all accounts the glass on the 5HD is much better than the 3HD. Pay once, cry once.

I took the rifle out to the range and it shoots great at 100 yards with the Skinner peep sights, but I really do need a scope on it. And boy, does it kick!

Terminator T3B muzzle brake is getting installed as we speak.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I got the Skinner Express sight in brass and it looks beautiful. I also got the Talley Quick Disconnect Scope Rings and decided to go with the Leupold VH-5HD 1-5x24 with the Firedot reticle. I just ordered the scope today. It was a little more than the VX-3HD, but from all accounts the glass on the 5HD is much better than the 3HD. Pay once, cry once.

I took the rifle out to the range and it shoots great at 100 yards with the Skinner peep sights, but I really do need a scope on it. And boy, does it kick!

Terminator T3B muzzle brake is getting installed as we speak.

Looking forward to seeing pictures when it's all together

I wanted to get the Firedot reticle for this one.

Back