Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Scope advice for my new rifle. The NEW Savage Model 110 Long Range Hunter with Accufit stock in .300 WSM

WVgoodguy22

I have been wanting a .30 caliber rifle to go along with my classic Savage model 110 in .270 Win for quite a while. Nothing wrong with my .270 and I know with the right premium bullet and proper shot placement I can take an elk under 400 yards, but just wanted another big game rifle. Since my Dad and one bro have a .300 Mag and my youngest has a 7 mm Rem Mag I wanted something a little different to try. After looking and thinking about .308s, 30-06, and .300 WSM and looking for deals on rifles to potential go out west with my youngest brother to Idaho this fall after OTC Mule Deer and eventually Elk. I was on BudsGunshop and found the new Savage Model 110 Long Range Hunter with Accufit stock in .300WSM for practically $300 off from $847 down to $560 I decided to put it on a 90 day layaway. It is 8.4 lbs without a scope, about a pound to 2 pounds heavier than what I was looking for, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. I have been looking at the Tikka T3x in .300 WSM for as long as it has been out and there were some other lighter rifles in my less than $700 price range like the Browning AB3 Comp Stalker, even a rifle in the same brand the Savage 110 Storm which had the stainless barrel and comp stock I was hoping to find for all season durability and reliability for some out west backpack type hunts. Sadly Howa doesn't make a .300 WSM that I am aware of. So I jumped on that rifle at that price. I know that there are two camps of thought about weapon systems, some like lightweight easy to pack others like a heavier gun when it's a magnum caliber for a more sturdy platform like Brady Miller from GoHunt does. But that is not the thread topic I want to discuss.
Being that my eventual rifle is already 8.4 lbs, I don't think I want to put a giant scope on it, but I also don't want to put a 3-9x40 on it either. Kind of defeats the purpose of a Long Range Hunter type rifle, even though I am aware that properly trained shooters can make 1,000 yard shots with a 9 or 10 power scope. I am not that well trained in long range shooting even though I have been hunting for over 20 years, most of the shots here in West Virginia are less than 100 yards. So I know I NEED plenty of trigger time to really get close to the potential of that rifle and caliber. Plus ethically shots under 400 yards would be ideal, but nothing wrong with being proficient further. I was thinking at least a 4.5-14x50 with a 30mm tube like in a Leupold VX-3i with CDS and max in that 6.5-20ish x 50 range like the VX-3i LRPs or even some Vortex glass. I would think those wouldn't make the rifle more than 10.5 lbs. Sadly I can't afford those nice pieces at close to $900-$1000. I am looking for a quality scope under $500 that would work well within those parameters and wouldn't break with Magnum caliber recoil. I have hopes of taking her out west next fall season in 2020 if I am lucky enough/blessed enough to go. Maybe even have her ready for a spring bear hunt to learn some areas before the fall seasons. Thanks in advance for any advice or help for this never been before Western Big game hunter.

The VX-3i 4.5-14 should suit you well. I would look into talley 1 pc mounts to save some weight. That way you're not carrying around a 12 pound hammer!

Diamondback vortex 4-12 x is what I use. About a pound. I would definitely not go into the 50 mm objective range. Scopes tend to get heavy in that size and you still need the base and rings... try to keep it light since the rifle is a bit heavier. Diamondback is pretty bright and clear. But it seems this forum is a leupold fan base haha.

The VX-3i 4.5-14 should suit you well. I would look into talley 1 pc mounts to save some weight. That way you're not carrying around a 12 pound hammer!

Thanks Boomer, that is what my youngest bro ordered for his 7mm Rem Mag (early 2000s Savage model 110 with a standard hunter composite stock) while he was spending time overseas in the sandbox. He was happy to replace the old Bushnell with some American glass and try out some loads with it when he got back home since he got a muzzle brake and a 1' limbsaver pad put on it to mitigate recoil while developing reloads. It has the CDS (probably set it for 7500 feet) and the Windplex reticle. I didn't get any time behind it, but it seems rather nice. I will have to look into those Talley 1 pc mounts to save some weight so I don't hate myself carrying a 12 lb hammer around those mountains.

Diamondback vortex 4-12 x is what I use. About a pound. I would definitely not go into the 50 mm objective range. Scopes tend to get heavy in that size and you still need the base and rings... try to keep it light since the rifle is a bit heavier. Diamondback is pretty bright and clear. But it seems this forum is a leupold fan base haha.

Thanks SoCal, I am a fan of Vortex optics too, I actually have their Diamondback 10x42 binos and they are really nice. My Nikon Monarch 3 BDC that I have on my .270 comes in 3-12x42 and I really like it too. Yeah anywhere in the 40, 42, 44, and 50 mm objective range is what I am looking at. I will have to get the weights of some scopes of various objectives and add it to the weight of my gun to find that right balance that I would be comfortable will.

I also 2nd the Vortex. I have a Diamondback 4-12x40AO and it is a very clear scope with no haze when you crank it up to 12x. I would also recommend the Leupold vx-3i or vx-5. Good luck with whatever you choose and happy hunting!

I also 2nd the Vortex. I have a Diamondback 4-12x40AO and it is a very clear scope with no haze when you crank it up to 12x. I would also recommend the Leupold vx-3i or vx-5. Good luck with whatever you choose and happy hunting!

Thanks Glockz, that would be a nice rather inexpensive yet high quality scope. I was even looking at the Diamondback Tactical in 4-16x44 FFP but I don't fully understand the MOA and MRAD reticles enough to use them to their fullest extent. Would love to find a Viper HS-LR in 4-16x50 on sale. There are so many good quality optics out there that could work and fit, most out of my budget, but there are still quite a few that are. Good luck and happy hunting to you as well.

Requisite Schmalts/Leupold mention. Take a look at a vx3i 4.5x14x40 cds w/30mm tube.

I have seen him being recommended to those whom are new and looking for deals on scopes, I even got on the Predator Optics website. But with that site, the pics of the optics/link to them actually overlaps and I can't see them and makes it difficult to know which one I am clicking on.

Hard to go wrong with Leupold.
And Schmalts will treat ya right!
As for Vortex, i go with the Crossfire II series over the Diamondback.
For what you get, there is no sense in paying more.

One company that has really impressed me though is Sightron.
About the best "bang for the buck" out there. Hence why i now own 3, and will get a 4th for the build i'm doing for my daughter.

I don’t like the looks of 50mm objectives on 1” tubes but, if you go with a Leupold 4.5-14, I would suggest the 50mm. I have an older 4.5-14x40. The view is pretty dim at 14 power in shadows and near sunrise/sunset.

Welcome to Huntalk and good luck in Idaho.

I have seen him being recommended to those whom are new and looking for deals on scopes, I even got on the Predator Optics website. But with that site, the pics of the optics/link to them actually overlaps and I can't see them and makes it difficult to know which one I am clicking on.

Do your homework on Leupold.com and pm schmalts with the model number or features. Trust me, it will be worth your time and due diligence.

Hard to go wrong with Leupold.
And Schmalts will treat ya right!
As for Vortex, i go with the Crossfire II series over the Diamondback.
For what you get, there is no sense in paying more.

One company that has really impressed me though is Sightron.
About the best "bang for the buck" out there. Hence why i now own 3, and will get a 4th for the build i'm doing for my daughter.
I would have to agree with you on Leupold and Vortex, hard to beat them. Everyone keeps recommended Schmalts and I have seen his name on other people's posts asking a similar question about new scope advice.
I have seen the Sightron scopes on a Mossberg Patriot long range combo is a local gun shop, but I didn't pick it up to look through it. I see that the Crossfire 2 is on quite a bit of gun/scope combos from different brands of manufacturers.

Sightron scopes are underrated. I only have one, but am pretty happy with it. mtmuley
I haven't checked them out, but I did see one on a Mossberg Patriot 300 Win Mag at a local gun shop. I will have to do more research on those. I didn't pick it up since I was with my brother who is in the Army is a USA made advocate, so Leupold or else.

I prefer my Leupolds, but I don't have any complaints about my Sightron. I personally won't purchase Vortex. mtmuley

I don’t like the looks of 50mm objectives on 1” tubes but, if you go with a Leupold 4.5-14, I would suggest the 50mm. I have an older 4.5-14x40. The view is pretty dim at 14 power in shadows and near sunrise/sunset.

Welcome to Huntalk and good luck in Idaho.
I don't like the look of them either, but they do make a 30 mm tube for the 4.5-14x50mm CDS. My youngest bro recently bought the same 4.5-14x40 CDS with 1 in tube, but hasn't hunted with it yet just shot some different loads he worked up and some factory loads. Thanks BakPakR, I like this site and have left my 2 cents on some others' post to try and help. I enjoy helping others. I hope that I get to go to Idaho with my bro, my lack of finances for gear and tags along with me having a heart condition is holding me back, but I will overcome soon. Good luck to you as well this fall.

Do your homework on Leupold.com and pm schmalts with the model number or features. Trust me, it will be worth your time and due diligence.
I have spent some time on Leupold's site and even signed up to be a core member, but I am not military or a hunt professional so I don't qualify for an amazing discount. I have it narrowed down to a few options, I just need to get my hands on some to learn more. Thanks again.

I prefer my Leupolds, but I don't have any complaints about my Sightron. I personally won't purchase Vortex. mtmuley
Since the firearm I have on layaway is a Savage and American made I too would love to have an American made scope like Leupold on top of it for a sweet USA rifle combo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back