School me on Hunting in Texas

maconbacon

Found out I will be moving from the KC area to Houston later next summer. I don't know a whole lot about hunting in the lonestar state other than its almost all private land.

I am a hunting generalist, but primarily a big waterfowl hunter that over the past couple of years has steered more towards big game and turkey. I am part of an awesome hunting club here that leases uncountable acres in the KS/MO/IA areas and it has been a boon for me. Will definitely miss it.

Figured I would come to HT to get the scoop. I have perused the Texas wildlife and parks website and it wasn't all that helpful. Should I look for leases, land to own, or try public? I will likely be working quite a bit and may have limited time to hunt. Maybe focus more on my trips out West and stick to fishing locally?

You'll be real close to some great coastal waterfowl hunting. You may want to look into a lease for deer and perhaps hog hunting.
Leases are expensive down there but hunting opportunities could be awesome.
White tailed deer, exotics, hogs, waterfowl and javelina, to the west, can be found.
You'll find hogs a blast to hunt and great to eat.
Might consider keeping that lease up north of Texas, even a once a year trip might be worth having depending on cost.

Yes lots of stand and blind hunting in Texas over feeders but not all is that way.

Festus that cracked me up, good one!

You'll be real close to some great coastal waterfowl hunting. You may want to look into a lease for deer and perhaps hog hunting.
Leases are expensive down there but hunting opportunities could be awesome.
White tailed deer, exotics, hogs, waterfowl and javelina, to the west, can be found.
You'll find hogs a blast to hunt and great to eat.
Might consider keeping that lease up north of Texas, even a once a year trip might be worth having depending on cost.

Yes lots of stand and blind hunting in Texas over feeders but not all is that way.

Festus that cracked me up, good one!
@wytex you had the more appropriate answer, but I couldn't help it - been a rough day here!

Yours was pretty dang funny though and not offensive in the least.

The amount of exotics that wander around down there is quite interesting, you do have to make sure they are not ear tagged and hence considered escaped livestock. Otherwise fair game to take. Shoot every hog you can.

You may find someone in Texas interested in your spot on that hunting club, that may help with finding Texas lease.

You’ll be close to the majority of public land TX has including the Sam Houston NF just north of Houston and some others north East like the Crockett. Some nice deer come out of those places, I’ve scouted the Crockett but have yet to hunt it since I have my own place to hunt.

leases can be expensive in the southwest but if you are patient you can find good places that are fairly priced. Good chance some of your coworkers will be able to give you some leads on places once you get settled in.

Back