Caribou Gear Tarp

Scent Elimination

idelkhntr

I just read an article about scent elimination and it prompted me to ask other hunters, particularly Elk hunters about their opinions on this topic. First I will share mine and then see what others think.

I watch dozens of hunting shows on TV and I have to admit that I laugh at many a host at something they do and I really don't think they actually realize what they are doing. Their show is sponsored by scent elimination company number 1 and they name drop number 1 many times during their show. They appear in commercials for number 1 and talk about how great number 1 is. Then they get all set up for their hunt, pull out their wind checker and make sure they use the wind to their advantage. They will spend hours moving around a herd of Elk to get the wind just right so they don't get busted. Does any of this make sense?

After looking at the price of all of the scent elimination clothing and watching hunting shows I figured that these products can't be all they are cracked up to be. I realized that there are certain precautions I need to take to minimize my own scent, but no matter what I do I will never eliminate everything. I am not a wealthy man and when I can buy the same pair of pants without scent elimination 50% cheaper I am going to buy them. No matter what I wear I will not eliminate many daily scents even if from casual contact. Things like patting the dog on the head as I am walking out the door,jumping in the seat of my pickup, knocking down a cup of coffee on the way to my hot spot, taking a leak before I start hiking in, sweating during the hike, you get the idea.

The bottom line is that I don't believe that scent elimination clothing is worth the extra cost. If I take small precautions, use the wind in my favor and eliminate unnatural sounds in the woods I can attract and not spook game. This is my personal opinion and may or may not be that of others but it works for me. I have not been big game hunting for very many years so I am by no means an expert. I have spent many days in the woods the past few years both scouting and hunting. During this time I have encountered all kinds of game from deer to elk to moose to foxes to birds, etc. Whenever I have spooked game it has been from movement or unnatural sounds. The two bulls I harvested the past two years were shot at 10 yards and 30 yards during my walk into my hunting area. Both times these bulls stood and stared at me. Things happened so suddenly that I could not check the wind and just had to react. I eliminated all movement until the bulls looked away and that is when I drew and shot.

My own scent precautions are this. I wash my clothes in scent elimination soap. I use scent elimination body wash and shampoo. I brush my teeth with the same toothpaste I use every day. I don't wear deodorant on the days I hunt. I keep my clothes in a plastic bag after they are washed. When I get out of my truck I spray my backpack and back lightly with scent elimination spray. The last thing I do is put a few drops of elk estrus urine on the toe of my boot. Right or wrong it works for me.

A side note. A few years ago a guy told me to use skunk oil to cover my scent. I tried it and it worked fantastically. I had a mule deer buck circle me twice trying to figure out what I was and trying to wind me and he never could. I could have taken him but had so much fun watching him I laughed and walked away as he was standing there watching me. The problem with this, the next day the skunk oil does not smell too good on your backpack after it was left in the pickup over night.

Just curious what others think as I sit here counting the days until my next hunt.

I feel pretty much the same way. My scent "elimination" routine is pretty similar to yours as well, except I just wash my clothes in super hot water without any detergent and then store them with some sage brush.

I read somewhere that the smell of the detergent isn't as big a deal as the U.V. optical brightener that you find in most detergents. That stuff is supposed to make your clothes "glow" to ungulate eyes. Whether or not that's true I don't know.

I sweat bad enough most of the time I figure using the wind is my only option. I do use some fancy mouth spray that is supposed to bla bla bla. It tastes good and gets rid of that sticky dry mouth thing or I wouldn't carry it. I do use the brand x body wash before I leave but I'm not sure why, after 5 days I don't think it makes much difference. The only scent elimination type thing I use that I figure may be worth the price over the alternative is the field wipes. They don't smell nearly as strong as the baby wipes I have around the house.

I used to play this game too..........You can do all you want to your clothes, its not going to matter. If you don't have the wind right, the game is over, period. Sometimes a calf, spike, or young raghorn may stick around for second guesses but no matter how much cover sent, scent eliminator, blah blah, your game is over if you don't have the wind right on any mature animals.

Makes me laugh watching guys spend all this money on scent lok and all these stupid cover sprays.........what a waste.

You would effectivly do the same thing using baking soda and water mixed together.

Number one, get the wind right. Number two, get the wind right. Number three, get the wind right...............

I put more faith in Greenhorn's "fart test" about the use of scent elimination clothing than I do about all of their lab tests. Greenhorn has killed more elk than all their lab guys combined.

For people who want to use it, I say go for it. If it gives you confidence, that might be worth the cost you pay.

As far as the spray stuff, not a chance. I am not a big worry wart about the warning labels, but having seen the skin of guys who spray their skin many times a day, I think I would rather pass out in a tanning booth.

A minimum of six boiled eggs will cover the english leather....plus what critter, Fin, and Lawnboy said..

Found the quote I was thinking of on Sitka's Facebook page:

Sitka Gear John, we won't speak specifically about any gear maker, but a couple lawsuits have shown that carbon based 'scent blocking' fabrics do little to nothing of the sort. We recommend hunting the wind, in whatever you wear. As for price, we do hear complaints from time to time. Sitka Gear isn't for everyone. It's for die hard hunters who rely on technological solutions to keep them protected, comfortable, and concealed in the field.
December 16, 2011 at 12:10am · Unlike · 5

I guess my point is that regardless of what you do, you have to play the wind period. I don't go overboard and really don't get too hung up on it. Once I put my clothes on my dog is going to come up and try to play like he is going and now his scent is on me. I then pour me a cup of coffee and suck it down on the way there. By the way more than likely my dog scent is still in my pickup since he rides with me a lot. It just cracks me up to see these guys on TV pump up their product and then play the wind. I have a guy that works for me that swears by the scent blocker stuff. Then again he is the same guy that says I am lucky. Look at my signature and you will understand.

One year I did EVERYTHING, including a meatless diet. I was sneaking through the brush and saw a bedded buck ahead of me less than 100 yards. We were both surrounded by brush and it was pretty remarkable that I spotted it. He had no idea I was there. I felt the breeze on the back of my neck. Thirty seconds later he stood up, looked around and disappeared. That's when I realized you'll never get it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back