Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Scent control hunting antelope

On my 3rd year chasing them. By far they trust eyes over everything. If they hear you or smell you , based on. My SHORT experience, they will stare at you giving you a bit of time

Find antelope, shoot antelope, eat antelope. If unsuccessful in step two go back to step one and repeat process. Don’t over think it. Anything you do to cover your scent is going to be a wash as soon as you start hiking and sweating. I don’t know squat about sitting in a tree but I’ve killed a many a critter in the west and do zero for scent control other than play wind in certain scenarios, antelope not usually being one of them.

Last edited:
My experiences from the east has me thinking like you. I wear scent loc when ever possible spray clothes down, shower with hunter soap and sport wash clothes and use ozone on clothes and have carried it but never had any elk or Antelope down wind to try it out on them. For Antelope my experience is just walk and you will get into them and if blow it up. Look around and decide which bunch to go after or sit and watch to see what they do. Really not complicated or hard. Just need orange hat or vest, gun, bullets, tag, pen, knife, binoculars and cooler w ice. Rangefinder knee pads, leather gloves, game bags and pack make it easier. Looking forward to this weekend. Have been waiting 6 years to hunt a buck. Have fun.

Don't worry about the antelope smelling you. Their eye's are everything. Now, if there are deer in the area, the deer will smell you and react and they will see the deer react. But seriously. Mostly, just worry about playing the antelope. They will see you before you shoot them. Antelope hunting is for fun. Don't worry about it and just have some fun.

How comon is this?
It’s extremely common for bow hunters Hunting Whitetails in eastern states.

I only went on one antelope hunt so take this for what’s it’s worth, scent did not matter unless they were in bow range, Then I could tell it definitely made a difference. If you were rifle hunting, don’t worry about it and enjoy yourself IMO. If you are trying to get in bow range, do what you can to mitigate scent issues. From a blind or your scent is somewhat contained it might not matter though.

They're not as bad as deer or elk, but you don't want them to get a whiff of you regardless. It's not as big a concern rifle hunting, but if you chase them with a bow or muzzleloader your wise to treat them like you would any other animal.

I decoyed a buck this year for my wife and he did exactly like a bull elk. He came running right at us, but he veered way to the right so he would have the wind in his favor coming to the decoy.

Trying to get in bow range they will smell you, the difference is what happens next. With whitetail/elk, they get a wiff, poof they are gone. With pronghorn, they get a wiff, most likely they will fall back to vision, at least briefly depending how close you are. they want visual confirmation, but once they think they see you, game over.

My experiences from the east has me thinking like you. I wear scent loc when ever possible spray clothes down, shower with hunter soap and sport wash clothes and use ozone on clothes and have carried it but never had any elk or Antelope down wind to try it out on them. For Antelope my experience is just walk and you will get into them and if blow it up. Look around and decide which bunch to go after or sit and watch to see what they do. Really not complicated or hard. Just need orange hat or vest, gun, bullets, tag, pen, knife, binoculars and cooler w ice. Rangefinder knee pads, leather gloves, game bags and pack make it easier. Looking forward to this weekend. Have been waiting 6 years to hunt a buck. Have fun.
Headed out this saturday myself. Good Luck to you.

I take wind into account while bowhunting, and to some extent while rifle hunting. I'll always plan a stalk for the wind, hate to blow a chance because I got a little lazy, lopes can smell quite well, and will bolt when they sense your presence

Last edited:
I have been using a bee hive smoker for scent control last 2 seasons. I just smoke my clothes and myself before i head out. ive had good luck with it. Just make sure if you do it in the field you put out the ashes.

Back