Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Scent absorbing clothing

1_pointer

When hunting in the west, where you do much more spot and stalk than we do here in IN, do you think that the scent absorbing clothing is neccessary/beneficial?? I have had much better success in IN stand hunting since I have gotten my suit, but was wondering what is used in the west, which I will be joining shortly!!!

I am NOT a expert on this subject but here is my opinion. If I was bow hunting I would look in to it. If I was rifle hunting I wouuld not bother. Even with the suit you have to be down wind of the anilmal.

John

i have never tried scent hiding clothes but i have tried the soap, cover scent(skunk, and a few pees...i most call coyotes), even a ghiulle suit. i have tried two decoys...first one is a weasle ball with a large rabbit skin with the head and ears attached and the other is just a stuffed animal on a stick the moves back and forth. and electronic callers.

of all the stuff i only regularly use my ghuille and electronic call!! the other stuff may make you FEEL more stealthy but i personally think it is in your head. just watch the wind and stay covered and you will get a chance at what ever you are after.

and now that i have typed all this i don't think i answered your question!! :D oh well this is how i have done it and do it currently...only my game is usually coyotes!

I REALLY am not an expert in this field, but when shopping for a new suit this year, I came across a garment from BuckExpert called Scentlok which promised to absorb your scent with some sort of charcoal lining. As I asked the salesperson, he SERIOUSLY recommended that I NOT buy this product as it was only worthy for something like 60 days from first contact with odours and once washed, useless. Seemed like a gadget more than anything else. Nothing beats covering yourself up with pine smell, or even better, building a blind or refuge layered on all sides with pine bows. They'll never know you're there!!!

Sport240

I have one of the charcoal lined suits and love mine. The liner in mine can be reactivated in a clothes dryer. I was just wondering if the were used/recommended by other western hunters.

im not what you would call a western hunter but i do have the green liner and the camo suit and i dont hunt bow or rifle whith out it i have had bucks 15 feet down wind and me on the ground and they never know i was there till i stuck a broad head in them. it dont matter to me if i was out west or right here in mo. i will have it on.some of the new ones are machine wash but mine are hand wash only but you do put them in the dyer to reactivate and mine are sentloc and the work just fine three years later. sport240 the salesperson you talked to dont know what he is talking abought. :rolleyes:

Hey guys, As a friend and Co-visitor here with you let me save you a bunch of money and false hopes. There is no chance you will hide your scent from game. I used hounds to hunt bears for years and became friends with a search and rescue fellow with dogs He was training the dogs for the police at the airport. I was invited to a show involving drug, gun, and bomb sniffing dogs one weekend.

They set up a conveyor belt and sent all kinds of luggage down this 4 foot belt. One of the pieces was a samsonite hard sided suitcase. Inside was a can of folgers coffee with the metal lid off and filled with coffee but inside was a bag of dope inside a zip lock bag. Then the plactic Coffee can lid was put back on.

So we have dope in a zip lock placed inside a can of coffee with the sealed lid in side a suit case with some clothing.

They ran this down the belt and only two dogs did not bark at it instantly as it went by. They used different suitcases for all the dogs too. It was not a trick, I was so amazed by this I did several tests on my own with bears to see how they compared.

I had a pile of beaver carcases and salmon about 5 feet in diameter and 3 feet high. the bears would come in and lick off the maggots every day through the pre-baiting period of the summer. Occasionally they would pull a piece of meat out and eat it too. I had several tree platforms made and would sit there identifying bears for the research program I was doing and for my clients who would hunt with me in about a month.

Several times I would burry egg rolls, donuts, fried chicken, and what ever scraps I could get from the local stores for bait inside this pile. Let me say this to you also, we could hear this pile squishing from the billions of maggots at 50 yards. A human being could smell this pile from 1/4 mile easy and probably further if the wind was right.

I would take in a shovel and lift up a pile of this grey matter and dump the "good stuff" under it. Then pull down more on top of it. I'll tell you an episode from one common evenings watching what happened there.

First bear in is small and very nervous, he walks circles around the bait and licks it and bites a few places tying to find something good. he begins to sniff the exact spot where the "goddies" are burried and then stands straight up, snorts loudly and runs off. This is obvious bear behaviour when another bear is coming. How could he smell anything with magnitude of rotting scent in the air? sure enough another bear comes strolling in and it is huge. He does one lap around the pile and bullseye right on target he nails the good stuff. digs it out and eats almost all of it. He walks off and another bear comes about ten minutes later. Right to the same place and finishes it off. He leaves and within 5 minutes another smaller bear comes in and goes to the smae spot digging and digging trying to find more but it's all gone. he can smell that it was there even when the scent is on the pile of rotting slimey meat residue.

If you think for a split second that cover scent is doing anything for you I think your not giving wild game the credit it deserves. If you think that some kind of scent holding suit is going to cover your scent, then I hope it's better then a sealed zip lock bag inside a sealed can, inside a sealed suitcase.

Sure this was bear and hounds but do you really think a deer, elk, wild boar, or any other wild animal will have a handicap sorting out the scents it smells?

I wrote an atticle years ago on this subject and although I don't have the figures in my memory the numbers were strongly infavor of bears, canines, and swine for sence of smell but the Deer and antelopes were not far behind. They all had the ability to read thousands of scents mixed together and pick out each one and use that information. What I found was that only one part per million or in some cases a few parts per billion of any scent could be detected by many animals.

I did not type all this for my health guys, I just think there are way better ways to hunt then to depend upon the Hyped up products on the market today. You don't need all this fluff, you just need to stay down wind.

If you have what appears to have been good luck with these products, you probably would have had the same without it. Some game just does not seem to be to concerned. Much of the game is "humanized" in agricultural areas and does not have the same reaction to Human scent that pure wilderness game does. I have not used a cover scent or special suit in my whole life and have had deer up wind of me and within feet of me that did not seem to care! Had I been wearing a Special suit or cover scent it would have seemed to be the reason. It's just the specific animal though. This is not the same as a "lure" or attractant for game. Cover scents are different then Lure's. jj

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02 July 2001 10:51: Message edited by: JJHACK ]</font>

I don't rely on this suit alone, but I feel that it does indeed help. In hunting whitetails here in IN, I have spooked less deer for 'unexplained' reasons than I did before I had the suit. The eight pointer that I arrowed this year came from down wind, went past me and then came back along the trail that I use to get to my stand. So, I feel that they HELP but not cure the scent problem and was wondering if western hunters found them usefull.

jj
i can take some of that super duper perfume (you know the kind the old ladies put on just before they get on the elevator)in a glass jar and put one layer of sentlock over it and you can not pic out a single wiff no matter how hard you sniff. now thats not to say that it is a substitute for cleanliness but i have had deer to close to many times to say it does not work its magic.

If you really want to test the suits effectiveness, just fart in them!!!! :D :D I understand that not all odor will be eliminated, but any little bit helps!!

I don't intend to turn this into a debate but I think you guys are missing the point. Game can detect scent and distinguish it when there is only one part per million. That means if there were a million parts skunk scent to one part human scent they would be able to detect the one part human scent.

As far as any little bit helps well one part per million is all it takes to alert an animal so unless it's every little bit then it may as well be none and stay down wind.

If you guys really think this magic suit is going to aid you in your hunting go for it, I'll side with PT Barnum on this one though. jj

No I have not personally worn one, but I have not done a lot of things that will prevent me from having a solid opinion based on lots of practical experience. For example I have seen so many clients clabbering about with so much crap that I don't see how they can possibly hunt. The come with these fancy "scent free suits", a heat detecting game finder, video camera, two water bottles, a folding hand saw, several knives, a spotting scope, GPS, regular camera, digital camera, the newest fancy camo print, Huge laminated maps. Then shove all this into a day pack put on their "scent suit" and we have to climb for an hour up 1000 foot elevation to glass the area we are hunting. Now they are soaked with sweat and exhausted with blistered feet. But they have lots of fancy crap they cannot possibly use along for the trip.

What ever happened to hunting? now it's a fluff and gadget show! What's up with all this crap everyone seems to need in the bush? I'm amazed at all the junk people Must have to hunt. The sales and marketing in this country is brain washing the average guy who thinks he must have all this stuff to shoot an animal.

These same guys cannot name the 10 most common plants the animal they are hunting will eat. Nor can they even identify them and name them when I point them out. None understand the concept of daily game movement from bedding to eating and then watering areas. They cannot tell the difference between a bull or cow track or buck or doe track. Few can smell game that is in the area or has recently passed. Most will say " Whats' that smell" but have no concept of what made it. Few can identify droppings, or follow a track in anything but mud and snow. The list can go on and on here.

All the fancy well marketed junk people buy will not make them a better hunter, it will just make their wallet lighter. If they actually learned something about the game they seek maybe they would increase their success and save some money. jj

I won't carry this any further accept to say most of us don't have the kind of time to put into woodsmanship as you obviously have had over the years so some of us pick up a few gadgets that we feel will give us a reasonable amount of help and/or gained confidence and besides that I don't have the ability to ramble on. Thanks for your opinion but a PT Barnum person I am not.

JJHACK: It was good to see that you are around. I enjoyed your insights one the other forum and hope you stay with us. Getting the gear and gadgets seems to be a part of the hunt and adds excitment to it all. But I would agree that nothing I can do will rid me totally of human scent. It seems that humans have a "special" scent that all but the most remote area game animals know as bad :D Call it a preditory scent, or at least a different scent that game animals are used to. An elk, for example, can smell 40,60 or more times better than human. A bear even more. Their main defense mechanism is smell. I have had most luck hunting while it is raining, snowing, in a steady wind, or above the ground. But hunting gear is a personal matter which has become as much a part of the hunt as the hunt itself, and gives pleasure to many. And that is okay in my book. ;)

JJHACK: It was good to see that you are around. I enjoyed your insights one the other forum and hope you stay with us. Getting the gear and gadgets seems to be a part of the hunt and adds excitment to it all. But I would agree that nothing I can do will rid me totally of human scent. It seems that humans have a "special" scent that all but the most remote area game animals know as bad :D Call it a preditory scent, or at least a different scent that game animals are used to. An elk, for example, can smell 40,60 or more times better than human. A bear even more. Their main defense mechanism is smell. I have had most luck hunting while it is raining, snowing, in a steady wind, or above the ground. But hunting gear is a personal matter which has become as much a part of the hunt as the hunt itself, and gives pleasure to many. And that is okay in my book. ;)

JJ-

I don't doubt your theory (dogs etc...), but the same applies to people who wear rubber boots to eliminate scent. Police tracking dogs are trained to even follow people who are wearing rubber boots.

I can't quote him exactly, but Leopold said that too many gadgets can take away from the outdoor experience. I agree with him whole heartedly, but like to use every advantage I can get. Can't wait to try hunting a bear someday myself. Thanks for the input 'fellas.

I certainly have to agree with JJ on this one. Deer and Elk also have noses like the bears do. Scentlock clothing may give you a fuzzy feeling inside especially if you cut loose inside, but it isnt going to save you from being smelled by the deer and elk. No way No how.....If the wind is right they can smell your breath for a quarter mile. Go against the breeze or wind, and leave the scent lock home. JMO bcat

I have to go with JJ and bcat on this one. Spending time in the woods will do a lot more for your hunting success than a trip to the local sporting goods store.

Thanks for all your posts jj, I've read a bunch of them and enjoyed them all!

i can't argue with spending more time in the woods but i started out buying anything that i THOUGHT would improve my chances. yes, i wasted alot of money BUT the things i bought gave me CONFIDENCE while i was out there. if you go out as a rookie(and i'm no pro-in any sence of the term)thinking "i've got no clue" then of course you're just going to wonder around aimlessly(like i did on my first turkey hunt). but if you THINK are a natural "woodsman" then you just come away thinking the animals weren't there. eventually you will figure out that you have a lot of toys that don't help! i personally was told that i was just wasteing my money, but then i ALWAYS do things the hard way...i has to learn it for myself.

if it makes you FEEL more stealthy and makes you THINK you are a better hunter then use it...you'll figure it out for your self sooner or later. just my .02!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 04 July 2001 21:37: Message edited by: californiacoyotes ]</font>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back