SB 298 - Crossbow bill rears its ugly head

Modern crossbow arrows have a carbon shaft, plastic vanes (glued on with a Bitzenburger fletching jig), glue in brass inserts, expandable or fixed head broadheads, and a plastic knock of several varieties.

About 450 grains total weight.

Usually 18-20" carbon length.

Other than the length, sound familiar?

My setup, black eagle shafts, AAE Max hunter vanes, 100 grains brass insert, SEVR expandable broadhead (150gr).
Arbalists such as yourself shoot an arrow-like projectile called a bolt or a quarrel.
Your "false" expression and other info regarding crossbows does little to refute what was pointed out in Post #156.

But I do understand what you are saying and respect your right to offer the defensive pro-crossbow info. However 307, please respect that 406 archery hunters and others have raised opposition to this legislation time and again.

Modern crossbow arrows have a carbon shaft, plastic vanes (glued on with a Bitzenburger fletching jig), glue in brass inserts, expandable or fixed head broadheads, and a plastic knock of several varieties.

About 450 grains total weight.

Usually 18-20" carbon length.

Other than the length, sound familiar?

My setup, black eagle shafts, AAE Max hunter vanes, 100 grains brass insert, SEVR expandable broadhead (150gr).

ETA:
My vertical bow setup: black eagle shafts, AAE max stealth vanes, 75 grains brass insert, SEVR expandable broadhead (150gr). About 450 grains.
What about the loss of your man card?

My issue with it is guys that claim to be disabled. I work with one he asked me if he could hunt with one since his is disabled from his time in the military and it hurts his shoulder to hold a bow. This same guy I have also seen in the gym doing dumbbell presses with 100s in each hand. To many guys would take advantage of it because they don’t wanna put the time in. A guy I grew up with in Oregon destroyed his shoulder on a sxs accident. Couple years later he was guiding someone from Mathews and that guy recommended he try a shooting a lefty. I wouldn’t be against certain people hunting with them they just need to be missing a limb or something of that nature
Remember when TJ Dillashaw got a crossbow permit 😂

Shooting a crossbow in the field, off hand, is far more challenging than shooting off a bench rest. Many of the claims made about crossbows don't seem to take that into consideration.

In field shooting conditions, I'm more accurate to a longer range with my vertical bows than my crossbow.

The ability to shoot without movement is the primary advantage a crossbow has over a vertical compound bow.

Carrying a crossbow in the mountains for a couple of days is enough to piss off the Pope. They're heavy, awkward, and just generally irritating.
I carry a 14.5# rifle for coyote hunting. I carry it miles. I can shoot a coyote in the face at 400 yards with that thing in a 20 mph crosswind. I ain’t killing crap with that thing offhand either. Is a crossbow worse than that to carry? Seems like I could carry one of those rifle grips for my tripod and crossbow and shoot bull elk beyond belief off the tripod with that thing. I carry my tripod anyway for my spotter.

I carry a 14.5# rifle for coyote hunting. I carry it miles. I can shoot a coyote in the face at 400 yards with that thing in a 20 mph crosswind. I ain’t killing crap with that thing offhand either. Is a crossbow worse than that to carry? Seems like I could carry one of those rifle grips for my tripod and crossbow and shoot bull elk beyond belief off the tripod with that thing. I carry my tripod anyway for my spotter.
Oh…I’m good to 50 tops with my compound. And that might be stretching it honestly. I have bad eyes

They just honestly suck to carry. They're awkward in all directions while a scoped rifle is just "long". Mine is a recurve crossbow though as I'm thinking the thinner compound type crossbows are probably less terrible to carry.

A tripod is good if you're in a blind but carrying one, and deploying one for use at archery distances (without making noise) is much worse than drawing a bow IMO.

I've killed with both.

I drive a jacked up diesel with cast iron testicles hanging from the receiver hitch, ripped jeans and a flat bill hat to balance out the equation.

So far so good...
Seems right

What about the loss of your man card?

You get a bigger one. If you're missing a leg, have M.S., A.L.S, lost a hand, or genuinely need a crossbow and still have the balls to try and kill an elk there's ZERO shame.

Last edited:
It's a system that is frequently abused and manipulated for personal gain. Those whom are truly disabled would surely be the loudest opponents the frauds, at least I would think so.

I can agree to a point. But I know my mother tries not to judge. Her M.S. was pretty hidden to most people for a long time. She knows what it's like to get an eye roll when you can walk to the front door but need a motorized cart once your inside.

You get a bigger one. If you're missing a leg, have M.S., A.L.S, lost a hand, or genuinely need a crossbow and still have the balls to try and kill an elk there's ZERO shame.
I do not qualify under any of those circumstances, and my hat's off to those that do. I'm personally, fully physically capable at this point in life.

I simply enjoy shooting and hunting with them (except carrying them in the mountains).

Somewhat ironically, I shoot a vertical bow a lot, and compete with one fairly regularly. I'll average 297 on a vegas face so I'm not exactly incompetent and it's got nothing to do with not putting in time or being "lazy".

At 50 yards off hand, give me the vertical bow any day. My effective hunting range is actually further with the vertical bow than the crossbow as a result. There's no doubt that the crossbow is better when in really tight quarters and movement is difficult. That's the advantage IMO.

I realize this is just anecdote, but there probably aren't many people who backpack hunt elk with a crossbow so my experience is a bit unique, though still mostly worthless...

i know of one guy doing sheep hunts every year that’s “disabled”

I know another that hasn’t worked in years that claims to be disabled. Essentially all he does is hunt and it’s beyond easy to see pictures of him packing out tons of critters every year
You have no idea what’s going on inside. I am 100% disabled from the VA. Yet if you looked at me you would never know. I still work, I still pack elk although it’s slow, and I still do my best to climb hills. It isn’t always good but I won’t quit. @JohnCushman has seen first had what happens when I have a relapse. It’s not pleasant to be around and I am a jerk. Pain and panic take over. Then the adrenaline kicks in and yet I have always made it back. I hate that part of me and it has cost me more than you can imagine.

I do disabled hunts, I try and make hunts easier to limit my downside.

You come at me with that attitude from only seeing your version of perception you may likely get an education. Try not to judge or assume as we are not them and simply don’t know.

You have no idea what’s going on inside. I am 100% disabled from the VA. Yet if you looked at me you would never know. I still work, I still pack elk although it’s slow, and I still do my best to climb hills. It isn’t always good but I won’t quit. @JohnCushman has seen first had what happens when I have a relapse. It’s not pleasant to be around and I am a jerk. Pain and panic take over. Then the adrenaline kicks in and yet I have always made it back. I hate that part of me and it has cost me more than you can imagine.

I do disabled hunts, I try and make hunts easier to limit my downside.

You come at me with that attitude from only seeing your version of perception you may likely get an education. Try not to judge or assume as we are not them and simply don’t know.
I don’t know you’re situation and won’t claim to. I 100% know the second person I referenced is just a complete cheater that found a way out of working

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back