SB 1073 (Idaho) will ban the imporatation of domestic elk

Washington Hunter

SB 1073 (Idaho) will ban the importation of domestic elk

(2) It shall constitute a felony, punishable pursuant to the provisions of section 18-112, Idaho Code, for any person, association or corporation to import domestic cervidae from outside the state of Idaho.

Also, unfotunately for Moosie, it will make it illegal to spear elk on an elk farm:

25-3701. DOMESTIC CERVIDAE FARMING DEEMED AGRICULTURAL PURSUIT -- SHOOTING OR SPEARING FOR FEE OR OTHER REMUNERATION PROHIBITED.

To read the entire bill: http://search.state.id.us/search97c...ctype=raw&Collection=2007+Session+Legislation

It bans canned "hunts" in Idaho.

Yep it does that too, whether the "hunter" does the killing with a rifle, or a spear. :D

If these bills pass, it will provide a great incentive for these "ranchers" to choose some other type of livestock to raise, anything but elk. The profit just won't be there. Not when they can't have some guy from New York city come out and shoot a trophy bull for $12,000. (NHY notice I didn't pick on Texans this time)

It says "shooting or spearing", but it doesn't hold shooting to just being with a gun. I LIKE this bill, and I'm supporting it.

It's a good bill WH & I'd like to see it pass. How firmly entrenched is the captive payshoot industry in Idaho?

Pretty darn firm NHY! In fact, I was at the Sportsmens Show in Portland, Oregon, this last Sunday, and I recall seeing at least two vendors there that were elk farmers from Idaho. One was promoting, and selling, assorted meat products from their elk, such as pepperoni. The other of course was promoting their guaranteed "hunts," and I did look at their pamphlet and it talked about how tough the terrain was and how difficult the "hunt" could be. :rolleyes:

Actually, now that I think about it, I believe there was 3 or 4 elk farmers from Idaho there. I couldn't believe it. Seemed like everywhere I went there was an Idaho elk farmer trying to sell so called "hunts." I had to wonder why these people were allowed in a SPORTSMEN'S show????

Washington Hunter, I've seen your Elk hunting record... maybe you should be for these hunts :)

No, because I don't have to kill something to have a good hunt. And, I have never hunted elk seriously. It's just about a waste of time in this state. In 20 years of elk hunting I've killed a little 3 point, 2 spikes, and a cow. But like I said, I don't hunt elk seriously. And the elk I have killed I didn't buy. This year I hunted elk 1 day. That's it. And most years that's about how much time I spend chasing elk. Why bother when the only legal elk is a spike? You know, the success a guy has elk hunting, or any other hunting for that matter, is really more dependent on where he hunts than anything else. I am sure if I lived in Idaho, or Montana, or Wyoming, I'd be killing good bulls most every year. But instead I spend my time here hunting pheasants and deer, mostly. And yes, the pheasants are WILD. With any luck though, I will be hunting elk in your state this year. And the year after, and the year after that, and the year after that, until I get tired of killing elk, or I get too old, whichever comes first. Why don't you buy a Washington elk tag this year and try to kill an elk in this state? Even a spike is a real trophy here. Guess what success rates are here? Most units, 2 to 3 percent. No kidding. A 4 or 5 percent success rate is really, really good.

Hopefully that will happen Buzz. Idaho has a different private property rights climate than Montana and that will be the biggest hurdle.

Anyone know what is up with the alleged alliance between the HSUS and the Idaho Sportsmen's Caucus Advisory Council? The ISCAC spokesman was where I first read of this thing going to a citizens' initiative if the bill failed. Not too sure that Idaho hunters want to get in with them if they are already aligned with HSUS.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back