Save the date..Hog hunt coming up !

NoobHunterTito

Hello everyone. Pretty new to the hunting scene. I've yet gone out and hunt but i am already in love with it.

Going out the end of May to a WMA here in Florida to do some wild hog hunting. Noooo not with dogs, but ole fashion stalking. I've done countless hours of research and studying on different hunting methods and do's & dont's on hog hunting. I wont be baiting since its on public land and that is not allowed.

I was debating on going with a bolt action 30-06 but i ended up deciding to go with a 12g w/ slugs. Yeah i know it cuts down my range and possibly accuracy, But if im stalking through brush and trees i figured more than 100yds will probably not be happening . Especially since we won't be hunting in a stand or what not.

Couple weekends ago we went out to bass pro shop and got most of our gear we are going to take. Its about 4 of us going out, all newbies to this . But very well informed.

Will be posting pics possibly later this week on our gear!

May 30-31. Mark it down >:)

Last edited:
Sounds like fun! Good luck and welcome to hunttalk. One small thing though. Still hunting actually refers to moving very slowly through cover. Ambush hunting is from a blind, treestand, etc. Dumb little difference but it should help you communicate more effectively on here.

Sounds like fun! Good luck and welcome to hunttalk. One small thing though. Still hunting actually refers to moving very slowly through cover. Ambush hunting is from a blind, treestand, etc. Dumb little difference but it should help you communicate more effectively on here.
Oh snap ! Than ill be still hunting than ! What does stalking reference too than ?

Once you learn what to look for you can make a stalk without first spotting a pig. Stalking, slip hunting, still hunting, it’s all good.
Good luck on your trip. Don’t be afraid to cover ground at a moderate pace. When you start seeing stuff that looks “piggy” then slow down.
This time of year they’ll spend a lot more time bedded then on their feet during daylight. Good choice of 12g and iron sites. Don’t be surprised if your slip hunting is more finding bedding spots and jump shooting them.

Cool, I would add to just make sure you know where everyone is at and be sure of your target and what’s beyond.

Make sure you check the brochure for the actual WMA you are planning to hunt. Each WMA has separate rules/regulations/season dates and the vast majority are not open for hogs this time of year.

Here are some tips from my Hog hunting in Fla & Hawaii. I had some excellent mentors and actually managed to put some pork in the freezer.

1) NEVER EVER, EVER have the wind at your back. EVER!!

2) Don't waste too much effort on trying to be Stealthful like deer hunting. They actually don't see that well, nor hear that well, but you'll NEVER get past that nose.

3) If you ain't eventually wet to the knees, you're hunting the wrong place.

4) If you don't find multiple areas of ground that looks like someone ran a Roto-Tiller trough it, move on, you're wasting you're time.

5) Shoot a weapon that will make a hole, with a short range sighting attachment . I personally would avoid a 30/06 over a 12 ga slug. (my opinion, $0.02). Mine was a Ruger 96 lever action, in 44 Mag. Keep it short, fast and able to get dirty, then still shoot.

6) Have more than a couple very sharp knives handy when you get one.

Good hunting and have a good GPS....

Here are some tips from my Hog hunting in Fla & Hawaii. I had some excellent mentors and actually managed to put some pork in the freezer.

1) NEVER EVER, EVER have the wind at your back. EVER!!

2) Don't waste too much effort on trying to be Stealthful like deer hunting. They actually don't see that well, nor hear that well, but you'll NEVER get past that nose.

3) If you ain't eventually wet to the knees, you're hunting the wrong place.

4) If you don't find multiple areas of ground that looks like someone ran a Roto-Tiller trough it, move on, you're wasting you're time.

5) Shoot a weapon that will make a hole, with a short range sighting attachment . I personally would avoid a 30/06 over a 12 ga slug. (my opinion, $0.02). Mine was a Ruger 96 lever action, in 44 Mag. Keep it short, fast and able to get dirty, then still shoot.

6) Have more than a couple very sharp knives handy when you get one.

Good hunting and have a good GPS....

So you didn’t roll with the Locals in Hawaii using a knife or a spear? I had a few invitations from Local friends but couldn’t work out the timing while I was working out there.

Tenaroc Public Shooting range :

This past Saturday we prepped all of our guns and sighted them in.

Sadly they didn't let me shoot the shotgun cause it didn't have optics and i had to have some sort other than a bead to shoot the slugs in the range.
So i will be going in blind with the slugs this weekend.

On a good note , we sighted in my brothers 30-06 rifle. He has some nikon scope on it.

For the sake of entertainment i did end up shooting my AR15 but i wont be hunting with it. Had one bad casing , guess it went off were the primer is and left the bullet head in tact. That was a first lol.

Now last thing i need for the trip is some clothing. Been looking at some ghillie suits just for the hell of it. Can put it on anything i wear.

Don’t worry too much about clothes for pigs. Earthen colors will work fine. This time of year it’s hot and I’d focus on being comfortable. Trading boots for tennis shoes ain’t a bad idea either even if you’re hunting in and around water.

Don’t worry too much about clothes for pigs. Earthen colors will work fine. This time of year it’s hot and I’d focus on being comfortable. Trading boots for tennis shoes ain’t a bad idea either even if you’re hunting in and around water.
hunting hogs in alabama, i wear hiking pants, a tee shirt and an old pair of sneakers. the animals have a great nose, but i have stood 5 yards from a sow with a bow in my hand and she didnt care when i drew on her.

We hunted saturday afternoon, after work, walked around for a long time looking for watering holes/signs. Right before dark we found the perfect spot and heard the hogs coming but one of my mates that was further down the trail talked over the walkie and scared them away. I marked the spot with my GPS for the next day. On sunday we went back to the place we marked and heard the hogs but when we would go after them we couldnt get them because of the brush that their was and we knew we were in the right spot because the water was ankle deep. One of our group had ended up staying up late the night before so we did not stay the whole day but we had so much fun on the trails and exploring/mudding, even though we didn't get a hog.We saw alot of wildlife including deer, we learned alot and all had a blast and are setting up to go again after summer.

I’m planning on heading down south of Orlando in January. Wife has a travel agent thing in Disney and for me it’s not the happiest place on earth. Going to hunt some hogs while she’s partying.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back