Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Save Our Durfee Hills Public Lands Petition

Yes you are absolutely right you can access from other roads, but the access is terrible and you know it. You would have to walk for eons to get anywhere. I can access Yellowstone from West Yellowstone, but if I wanted to access Yellowstone from say Cody, I'm sure glad there is a road. Multiple access areas in an area as big as this area of the breaks makes total sense. And I'm selling this because there are too many people on this site pushing agendas that are not good for the average sportsman. Ill be chiming in more often now. I'm sick of the bullying on this site. I'm tired of the ganging up you do on someone that has a different opinion. I want to see other hunters success. Pictures and stories. Not bad agendas being pushed by the left.

Rob, yes, just north of the Durfees, right over the fence practically, there was a small water reservoir set up with some ducks on it that day and a hunting blind tower. Just a wee bit further north from that was an alfalfa field that we saw when we were flying in to the Daley Gap area to document. There were game trails coming out of the Durfees to that field. My comment to the others was, setting that alfalfa field right where they know a huge elk herd is, could be used for baiting to lure the elk herd out of the public lands, but they could claim game damage and under the new proposed rules, then choose all the hunters they want to remove the elk.

I had a guy email me a couple weeks ago, who has hunted in the Durfees, saying it might be viewed as privileged since there is limited access by air, asked my opinion of the land swap. I told him it sucked. Then I replied to his comment about some viewing it as priveldged.

"I dont own horses. Does that mean that anyone who does, also owns a trailer to haul them and can ride further into our public lands to access the wilder, more habitat secure areas for elk, is privileged? It costs more to own and raise horses than to fly into the Durfees. I also dont own an atv (and trailer) to ride on the trails similarly to the horses. That does not make those hunters with access to that privileged. They simply have other tools at their disposal that they invest in for their hunts or other recreation. I own alot of expensive software and my construction, art tools for some of my research and other interests. I read a quote about a year ago, 'Dont tell me where your priorities are. Show me where you spend your money and I'll tell you what they are.' So the guys that own a small plane and took the time to train in it and use it to fly in or fly their friends in, are no different in my eyes than the public that invests in horses, atv's, canoes, boats, big elk camp tents and equipment. They are simply investing in tools to help them get to some awesome public lands to pursue a passion of theirs - in this case elk hunting."

As to my bio and agenda, I make everything I am doing public on my website, including the documents, for people to see for themselves, not take my word for it. I work toward putting the public back in Public Trust. Im not hiding anything, even my organic dark chocolate.

This "accessible" land will never be the pristine same. You all have ruined it by not keeping your mouths shut..

So the elites ruined this area and it will never be the pristine same....because they land a plane on an existing 2 track rd and walk in? O and run there mouths! Ah yes it will never be the pristine same since these elitist hunters run a dozer through public land.....o I'm confused again! That was done by those one guys.....don't tell me I'll th of there names.... Ah yes now I remember.

One thing about your so-called "elitist" pilots - my dad has been a pilot for 69 years. He is hardly an elitist. Many of his pilot friends are just normal blue collar folks who put their money into an airplane instead of a new truck or camper. My dad sold a J3 Cub for about $30k last year, which is less the cost of the rigs I see all these hunters driving around. I got a 172 for less than that a while back (I no longer fly). It is a lifestyle and if you love it you will find a way to make it work. The "elitist" claim you make is just another lie to try dupe the public.

Yes you are absolutely right you can access from other roads, but the access is terrible and you know it. You would have to walk for eons to get anywhere. I can access Yellowstone from West Yellowstone, but if I wanted to access Yellowstone from say Cody, I'm sure glad there is a road. Multiple access areas in an area as big as this area of the breaks makes total sense. And I'm selling this because there are too many people on this site pushing agendas that are not good for the average sportsman. Ill be chiming in more often now. I'm sick of the bullying on this site. I'm tired of the ganging up you do on someone that has a different opinion. I want to see other hunters success. Pictures and stories. Not bad agendas being pushed by the left.
Tell us your real name.

Signed. This issue is like a zombie. Someone needs to shoot it in the head and be done for good.

Edit: I'll probably never hunt the Durfee Hills, but I've seen it on Fin's shows. It needs to be saved for the public. Not all land is created equal and that stuff is special.

Last edited:
Its not just a road by the way. Another lie. Maybe I'll go up to this wasteland moonscape and pull out something respectable so you all can see what comes out of the trash area they are trading. It'll be way more sporty than flying over and picking out my bull so when I'm in the grocery line I can take my sniper rifle out and plug it at a 1000 yds.

Its not just a road by the way. Another lie. Maybe I'll go up to this wasteland moonscape and pull out something respectable so you all can see what comes out of the trash area they are trading. It'll be way more sporty than flying over and picking out my bull so when I'm in the grocery line I can take my sniper rifle out and plug it at a 1000 yds.

And what is your real name?

smithrmk---You should have quit posting on this thread while you were behind because each post you continue to make is dumber that the last one and that last one was really dumber than dumb!!!

I am curious, smithrmk. You seem to be from the general SE Snowys area and have already established your own private "honeyholes". So why are you just now jumping on this forum to push so hard for the Wilks' land swap? You are seemingly over-selling. Why?

Please at least take a shot at answering my questions.

I was out with a number of the guys on my first documenting trip - it was a bow hunt, during archery season and we did not see any of the elk from the air when we flew in, they were under the tree cover farther north.

Troll much?

Its not just a road by the way. Another lie. Maybe I'll go up to this wasteland moonscape and pull out something respectable so you all can see what comes out of the trash area they are trading..

Please take some pics if you get up north for those lands in the proposal. If you need a tour, let me know.:D

Are you referencing the bullwacker area? If you are then you might want to do some research before you go stomping around. I've been in that country. You can't hunt elk there without drawing a permit (3% odds for rifle and 6% archery). There are world class sheep in the area but obviously the odds are low there as well. So you can deer hunt and antelope hunt....big deal. If 70 people hunt the durfees in a season that's as many as there could be in bullwacker in a season. If you think a $700 plane ride into the durfees is expensive and only "elitist's" can afford to do it then I feel sorry for you. Spend a season driving down to the breaks around bullwacker from havre and I promise you will spend that much in fuel. Don't get me wrong, I love the Blm ground around bullwacker but it's accessible. A little effort and boot leather will put you right in the heart of it. The road isn't the only access either. Many hunters every year access that country by boat. Why trade public land for access to an area that can already be accessed.

Straight south on the snowys. Does it matter? Like ive said before I've hunted this area for 20 years and most of whats said on this trade is bull. Not sure about the troll comment. When I troll I'm not sticking my head under the water with my goggles on to spot my catch. I leave it to a little luck. The water tank and alfalfa field angle would be a nice try, but they don't need to lure the elk out. They don't hunt this side of the hill very often. I'm pretty sure the corn they planted is a better lure than the alfalfa anyway. If you use a alfalfa field as ammo than all ranchers/farmers are criminals. Better not use my hoochy momma either its too much of a lure. Rob you use your first name I use my last.

looks to me like if you are a landowner with some large public inholdings and are concerned about people flying in and hunting the public it would be in your interest to make a trade and soon. Once people start flying in the trade will become much more difficult.
Now with fly in access sportsman no longer need to settle for lower quality habitat or access to land that can be accessed by other ways.

I just made time to put this side by side together. Have to link, the pic is way too big to post here. Click tiny pic, then click the magnifying glass to blow up and scroll.

The first two shots are just a few of the shots I took on the northern end of the Durfee Hills on July 25, 2015. It was beautiful. The next day I went to document the east side of the Anchor Ranch because a hunter from Great Falls that has been out that way said I needed to do for the Bullwhacker what I have done for the Durfees, show those that havent been to the area what it looks like.

I was on the east side of the Anchor and the first shot below the Durfees (3rd) is facing the Anchor, which is just beyond the fence. I was standing on the 2 track road that already exists there, which the Great Falls hunter said was there. The 4th image is same side, but facing south, the area of the proposed east side road. That land was over grazed, the Butch reservoir ( I got lots of shots of that too) is about to break from the cows, the sage brush is hardly worth habitat for the sage grouse.

The photos are 1 day apart, not like a big time difference in summer, 1 bloody day, night and day landscapes. They can keep their cow beaten landscape. This land exchange sucks every which way. We can put a road in on the east side where the two track already is.

Last edited:
Rob you use your first name I use my last.
I've been here long enough that people know me, my experiences, and what biases I have in my writings (last name Gregoire btw). On the other hand you come here and on your first post you are calling us elitists and you continue to spread misinformation and make disparaging remarks about the people against this trade.

You seem to be nothing more than an advocate for the Wilks and you seem to be hoodwinked by many of their claims. I'd just like to know what gives you special insight into this. You don't seem to understand what has actually happened on the ground so perhaps they bought you a beer or twelve and you think they are stand-up fellas.

Last edited:
Straight south on the snowys. Does it matter? Like ive said before I've hunted this area for 20 years and most of whats said on this trade is bull.
Wow, 20 years. So are you some 25 year old kid that grew up there and now you think you understand the world? Or some carpetbagger who bought a hobby ranch after 15 years of visiting during the hunting season? Tell us, we deserve to know where your perspective comes from.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back