Savage LRH in 6.5x284?

MTGunner

Does anyone have experience with this rifle and what loads do you shoot? I have an opportunity to buy this Savage rifle for 1/2 price from savage Arms. Thanks for the input. MTG

For 1/2 price I'd buy it!! Lapua makes brass for it (a big + in my book) and with all the attention it gets from the long range target crowd there's lots of load data for it. Worse case scenario, you could probably trip it for near full cost and make a buck.

I have one in a HS precision; the load I shoot is 54 grains H4831SC, Federal 210M primer, lapua brass, and 140 grain berger bullet seated to .005 off rifling. This load is shooting at 2918 fps out of a 24 inch barrel. I have taken deer sized game out 850 yards with it and it performed well. If I do my part it will hold under a 1/2 moa to 1000 yards. 100 yard groups are typically one hole jagged.

It's a great round. It should be a tack driver in a Savage. I rebarreld a Winchester 88 in this cartridge for a guy who wanted it for antelope hunting. I liked it so much I put one together for myself.

I have one in .308 Win. It really shoots. I wouldn't hesitate on a 6.5

Savage makes excellent rifles, I am looking for a Savage lightweight hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor! Excellent cartridge! I don't think you would be disappointed!

6.5x284 savage...

I am looking forward to getting this rifle in my possesion to start seasoning the bbl. and working up loads. At this point I plan to mount my Leupold 6.5-20 VXIII that has been waiting for such a rifle. I plan to load 140VLD hunting Bergers for long range work. What I really desire is a long range wolf/coyote hunting rig. This should fit the bill. It has been some time since I have had a new rifle to work up. I am enthused about such. Thank you all for the informative information. OYOA is indeed a great website. Thanks Randy and all on this forum. MTG

I hope you the best!! That rifle should fit that role to a T. I wouldn't be afraid to punch a deer or lope tag with it either... :D

Back