Savage 111 Build?

Flatlander14

I have a Savage 111 in 300WM, I’ve upgraded to a nice Vortez Viper 4x16 and a quality set of rings as well. Gun shoots good, but I’m anal and want better. I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting another rifle to use for deer/antelope in a smaller caliber. Maybe a Tikka T3 or some other similar quality bolt action. Then it was suggested to use just use the 300WM for the goats and deer as well, but invest in a better stock and barrel. I know very little about the availability of parts and what actions are the best to build off of. Thoughts? Buy a new gun or build off of the Savage 111 I already own? Is it nuts to use a 300WM on an antelope? I’ve killed 2 deer and a Moose with it, I shoot 180g Federals with the Nosler Partition.

I’ve built a Bunch of savages, they are easy to build, relatively inexpensive, require little to no machine work, and all of them have shot lights out. That said Assuming you reload most factory savages are capable of sub Moa groups.

I’ve used barrels from McGowan and shilen, great experience with both

I’ve used stocks from Bell and Carlson, Choate and McMillan and of the 3 one will have what your looking for.

Savage actions don’t require any work other than possibly a trigger. Don’t waste your money trueing, etc. they are inherently accurate due to the floating bolt head.

The idea that any caliber x is too much for game animal x is absurd. .30 cal hole is a .30 cal hole. Not like animals explode when you shoot em with a 300 wm, an extra 2-300 FPS of velocity will just go right along with a bonded core or copper hunting bullet wherever is goes when it cuts through a antelope like butter.

Thanks for the advice. These thoughts of a customizing have sent me down a rabbit hole, of the many “family” firearms, we have a Remington 788’in .308 I may try to customize as well. Any one have any experience with this action? I’ve read mixed reviews.

I may have found yet something else to obsess over and get in to. Thanks again.

For the Savage 111, there are really only 2 things that i would think to replace.
The trigger, and the stock.

The factory (pre AccuTrigger) can be adjusted down to 2.5-3 lb pull weights and be a perfectly acceptable hunting weight trigger. But it's no Timney, Rifle Basix, Jard.

The factory Tupperware stock is another matter. The forestocks are flimsy, and rear buttstock does nothing to help mitigate recoil.
There are many tricks to stiffen the forestock.
But the best answer is an aftermarket. Beware though, many of the aftermarket synthetic stocks add weight.

I started to price out a new barrel from McGowan and Shielen, overwhelmed with choices and options if anyone can help.
I'm told to stick with the standard Savage Magnum Barrel contour for a hunting rifle, what about twist? length? (Was thinking 24")

Thanks for the guidance.

Twist and length suggestions would be dependent on cartridge. Cartridge suggestion would be dependent on if you are a handloader.

Thanks. I shoot federal premium 180g Barnes Accu-bond. Looking in to reloading but not there yet.

Barnes does not make the Accubond. I will assume a .30cal of some sort, but there are lots of them...

Before i went rushing off to get a barrel, i'd address the stock and trigger first!

If it's an AccuTrigger (the one with the blade in the trigger) your pretty well set!
They can be adjusted and are halfway decent.
Pre-AccuTrigger (no blade) can be lightened, but only so much and your MUCH better off getting an aftermarket one.
Timney, and Rifle Basix are common replacements for Savage.

Stocks, pretty much everyone makes for Savage.
McMillen can run almost $1,000.
Boyds $200.
Depends what your budget is, and what you want.

Last edited:
Before i went rushing off to get a barrel, i'd address the stock and trigger first!

If it's an AccuTrigger (the one with the blade in the trigger) your pretty well set!
They can be adjusted and are halfway decent.
Pre-AccuTrigger (no blade) can be lightened, but only so much and your MUCH better off getting an aftermarket one.
Timney, and Rifle Basix are common replacements for Savage.

Stocks, pretty much everyone makes for Savage.
McMillen can run almost $1,000.
Boyds $200.
Depends what your budget is, and what you want.
Not as many people make them for the centerfeed long action as you would think. Stockies if you like wood, McMillan will make one, Hogue makes then, Bell & Carson I think still makes one, and Im not sure on HS Precision. Manners stopped supporting Savage. After that you are looking at a chassis system. Personally I use the Oryx Chassis on my Savage 111 I rebarreled into a 260 Remington.

Boyds, Choate, MTD, GRS...

My point was that all the Savages i've shot, the barrel is not the weak point.

Usually it's the loose nut behind the trigger. Lol

Stock is what I’ve been re-focusing on, I was originally told I need to get the barrel first so I know what contour to have the stock made to, but it seems my best option is to stick with the Savage Magnum contour. If that’s the case no need to rush on to a barrel.

Yes, it is an accu-trigger.

I have been looking at the Bell and Carlsons for the stock, McMillan seemed out of line with their pricing? Is it really worth the extra $700? Choate mostly only had tactical styles available from what the website showed. Thanks for the input, very helpful.

B&C aren't bad. Heavy, but nice.
I have 2 rifles with them, both commercial Mausers. (Mausers aren't known to be the lightest rifles to begin with.)

My Mark X in 7mm Rem Mag weighs 9lb.
My Mark X rebarreled in 284 Win weighs 10lbs.

While, yes the Choate stocks are more "tactical" (i hate that word!) , they are really heavy and stable.

Take the time to read up (watch Youtube) to get your trigger set up.

Sorry on tactical, I do agree with your sentiment. I was struggling with a better description and went with it. I like a more “traditional” look myself.

Any thoughts on the McMillans? I can’t seem to get their website to load and find the actual stock weight.

Love to see pictures of those Weatherby’s if possible.

There is also Stokade stocks, their main business is Savage rifles. I bought a used one recently and really like it. They are 2.5 to 3 lbs. I replaced a Hogue full bedded stock and gained a few ounce but it is solid and looks great. They are custom made and there is a wait, but the cost is alot less that some other top end stocks.

Last edited:
Sorry on tactical, I do agree with your sentiment. I was struggling with a better description and went with it. I like a more “traditional” look myself.

Any thoughts on the McMillans? I can’t seem to get their website to load and find the actual stock weight.

Love to see pictures of those Weatherby’s if possible.
The McMillan is lighter, depending upon model. But not inexpensive!

You might want something more like a Boyds Prairie Hunter.
Traditional shape, with a comb.

The reason i'm looking at Choate for myself is the buttstock is flat on the bottom. I'm looking to shoot more matches & the flat bottom helps the rifle recoil straight back on a rear bag.

PS.
If you really want to tighten up your groups, then get into reloading.
And tune your action.

1- I went with a bell and Carlson, I need bottom metal to make it work be use I have the dbm that goes in to the molded stock. Savage has the parts but is closed due to NY Government. Anyone know where else I can buy this?

2- I just purchased the basics to get in to hand loading. Once my orders comes in I’ll be giving that a shot as well. Thanks.

Finally got my bottom metal from Savage, I haven't weighed the gun yet, but boy does it feel heavy. I also upgraded to a metal trigger guard.

Anyone have a good source for reloading powder? I am trying to find some H1000 and RL22, everywhere is sold out and has been for 6 weeks!

Thanks.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back