Savage 110 ultralite or proof research elevation mtr

Luke_with_a_lab

Hey all,

So im looking at getting a new rifle to actually learn to shoot longer distances as well as be a new deer gun/ maaaaybe i'll use if for elk. I think I want to go with the 6.5 prc so I can shoot for a while and not have my shoulder take a beating. Ive identified two rifles which are very different that I'm interested in. One is the savage 110 ultralite and the other is the proof research elevation mtr. The proof research comes in somewhere between 6.6lbs and 7.2lbs so its not so heavy that you wouldnt want to hike with it. Anyone have experience with either they can chime in with? Or just thoughts in general between the two? As always any advice is appreciated.

I don't have experience with either rifle, but if the cost wasn't prohibitive I'd go Proof. I'm impressed that Savage is using a Proof barrel, I've had a few Proof barrels and really like them. The Proof rifle has a Zermatt action, I have a Zermatt action and comparing between it and my Savages, I'd say the Zermatt is smoother cycling and a better action. I have a couple of Trigger Tech triggers and would say they are hands down better than the Savage AccuTrigger. I have a few Savage rifles and I'm sure this one is better than the ones I have, and would serve you well. It would be great if you could get a hands-on feel for each rifle, but IMO the Proof is the better rifle, with better components ..... and more $.

I got my kids a 110 ultralight in 6.5 , threw a brake, vx3i and some Talley ultralight rings on it. Shoots factory 130 Berger’s 3/4” and I just put together a load with 140 Berger’s that’s under 1/2 for sure. I’ve done some load development for one of the proof rifles and it shot just the same, the value in the extra grand would be in feel and fit. Personally I don’t like a detachable box in a mountain rifle. Have you looked at Christensen? , got a couple ridge lines that are real shooters, picked em up on sale in the 1600 range over the last couple years. 6.5 prc is a great cartridge but components are hard to find. On a braked gun you can go with just about any cartridge and shoot away. Barrel life becomes more of a concern than your shoulder. And components of course. In these times I might be picking a cartridge with similar ballistics but “more” (used loosely) availability.

Last edited:
I got my kids a 110 ultralight in 6.5 , threw a brake, vx3i and some Talley ultralight rings on it. Shoots factory 130 Berger’s 3/4” and I just put together a load with 140 Berger’s that’s under 1/2 for sure. I’ve done some load development for one of the proof rifles and it shot just the same, the value in the extra grand would be in feel and fit. Personally I don’t like a detachable box in a mountain rifle. Have you looked at Christensen? , got a couple ridge lines that are real shooters, picked em up on sale in the 1600 range over the last couple years. 6.5 prc is a great cartridge but components are hard to find. On a braked gun you can go with just about any cartridge and shoot away. Barrel life becomes more of a concern than your shoulder. And components of course. In these times I might be picking a cartridge with similar ballistics but more availability.
I have looked at the Christensen's a little bit. A friend I hunted with this year had one and I was impressed at how light it was and its accuracy. In addition his was chambered in 6.5prc, the deer he shot was at 284 yards and the thing didnt take one step, just tipped over dead instantly. In regards to ammo availability Im just starting to reload so hopefully I'll be able to keep myself supplied most of the time... fingers crossed

I got the Savage Ultralite 6.5CM and it shoots well under 1/2MOA with factory 140 ELD-M, but at the end of the day, it's still got the lines of a Savage. They need to do something about their stocks. They are comfortable, but hideous. If money was no issue, I'd get the Proof or a Christensen.

I just can't get over how ugly that 110 stock is.......

Bergara b14 or the tikka roughtech are decent options

As well as the Christensen Mesa or Ridgeline

Between the 2 id go with the proof.

I looked at the ultralight pretty seriously this summer. Couldn't get over the crappy feeling action (just like my other savages). And the stock is just fugly. No doubt itd shoot very good but I went with the tikka roughtech instead, and very pleased with that choice.
While both of your choices will probably shoot very well, id go with the proof just for better fit n finish

I just can't get over how ugly that 110 stock is.......

Bergara b14 or the tikka roughtech are decent options

As well as the Christensen Mesa or Ridgeline

Between the 2 id go with the proof.
Funny you say that about the stock. I completely agree with you. I dont understand on a $1,200 plus rifle they are ok with the stock looking that ugly.

So now we are comparing a $1,100-1,200 rifle to a $3,300 rifle? :oops:

Both wear the Proof Research carbon fibre barrel.
Difference is the action, and associated machining processes, and the stock, and trigger.

Is the higher quality in materials & workmanship worth it?

Only you can decide.

So now we are comparing a $1,100-1,200 rifle to a $3,300 rifle? :oops:

Both wear the Proof Research carbon fibre barrel.
Difference is the action, and associated machining processes, and the stock, and trigger.

Is the higher quality in materials & workmanship worth it?

Only you can decide.
Ha yes I am comparing those two rifles. I understand they are different, just the two rifles that caught my eye when looking. Seems like moset people are saying the proof is the way to go.

What fits you best?

I love my Savages (I own a total of 4, all older models, but have several barrels to swap calibers), but for the simplicity and utilitarian function of being able to work on them. They are accurate, I actually really like the accutrigger, and parts/barrels are easy and cheap to swap, but... they aren’t pretty or smooth. I agree that the new stocks are incredibly ugly, but I have not held one to see how they fit or feel.

If I’m spending premium money I want a premium rifle. I got my Tikka T3 SS for a really good deal, and I will tell you that it is just as accurate (probably more so), far smoother, and just feels better in the hand. Some people complain about their factory stocks, but they fit me pretty well, and after applying a Limbsaver recoil pad and some textured paint, I am quite happy with it. I’d rather spend premium money on something that has more pride of ownership like that.

I know that you didn’t ask, but if I were to buy a new bolt rifle right now it would likely be a SS Tikka T3x or a Browning xbolt Stainless Stalker in 6.5 CM (I know, I’d have to grow out my hair) or 7-08. Both of those rifles fit me well, are well built, and have the pride of ownership factor that I spoke of earlier

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back