PEAX Equipment

Savage 11/111 Lightweight hunter

dcopas78

As a long time Savage fan, and one who is graciously "allowed" to expand his gun collection, I am seriously looking at getting one of these in either 7mm-08 or .308 next spring. Does anyone have any experience with the model?

Thanks,
Derek

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Savage. I don't have the 111, but I do have the 116 weather warrior in 6.5x284. It is a great shooting gun that can get sub MOA groups easily. I really like the accutrigger.

I have an older (pre-accu-trigger) stainless 308, can't remember the exact model. It is a good shooting, lightweight rifle. I did replace the stock with a Bell & Carlson Carbelite. My wife killed her first antelope with it last year.

The only issue I have with Savages is the synthetic stocks aren't well designed and seem to kick harder than a rifle with a well designed stock.

I have a savage model 11 trophy xp in 7-08. Love it. It is my go to gun for the foreseeable future. I had to buy one for my boy so I could get mine back. Mine has to Nikon pro staff with Bdc reticle, killed a deer at 300 yards with it and all in between. It is a pleasure to shoot, i just got back from the range today taking two novice shooters to get practice for deer season and they liked it best out of 25-06 30-30 and 270. Recoil is mild and accuracy is great. Mine likes Hornady superformance 139sst the best so far. Don't think you would regret the purchase for the money you will spend mine brand new was $500 with tax.

I'm looking at the same rifle and I asked myself is $200-300 bucks more for the lightweight hunter worth it over the 16/116 trophy hunter. I also just looked at the 16/116 lightweight hunter as well. Another thing I read was the stock might be a little short on the lightweight hunters so you want to make sure it fits you as well.

I will be watching the gun sales next spring for sure.

I have the Savage Lightweight Hunter in 260REM, I really like that gun for hunting. It has good accuracy, it's a joy for packing around and I like the looks of the rifle. I actually have two Savages in 260, one is a heavy barreled custom my son put together for me and the Lightweight hunter. I wish it was possible to get the accuracy of the heavy barrel into the Lightweight, but for hiking around and hunting I really like the Lightweight. If you've been happy with your other Savages, I think you'll enjoy the Lightweight. You may want to consider the model 16 Lightweight as well, synthetic stock and stainless, two good choices.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back