Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Saturday's scouting trip. Pics

Water Wapiti

Headed to the WA coast to do some scouting on Saturday. Thought I'd share some of the pics.

Tracked this bunch for about 2 hrs. Finally got into them.

189225.jpg

189227.jpg

189232.jpg

These guys will be shooters in the fall. The area I hunt is 3 point or better.

186931.jpg

Me next to one of our North West saplings.
hump.gif

186932.jpg

WW

Nice looking place WW...
It is definatly the Olympic Peninsula or close there to, that's for dang sure...
Nice looking animals and that is one dandy tree, I never got to kill one quite that big, only nine foot...

Thanks for the pics and will certainly have to catch up to you at the end of the year when I come out to make messes in peoples yards...

I was on the Coast side of the Olympics. It is pretty thick, although there are areas you can see for a couple of hundred yards or so. Most of those areas are looking across a drainage in the old growth timber, or down on the river bottoms (where I found this bunch). I had forgotten my binos so when I first spotted them I use my range finder to take a look. It placed them at 208 yds. Snuck in closer for the pics.

As for the tree, I'm 5'7", I figure it was about 10' at the brim of my hat. That would make it 32 feet around. I've seen some a lot bigger, if you were to cut them off at eye level, you could park a pick up on the stump. In the 80's it wasn't uncommon to see a logging truck with just one log on it. They're not logging the old growth anymore. Spotted Owl thing.

Max
I hunt rifle, the fire restrictions often hamper my scouting, but by November it’s raining two inches a day. Your right though, it has been really dry, this summer could be a bad one.

WW

I got to knock one down a few years ago that filled four log trucks, the first two logs was a load each. There was 20,000 feet in that one tree. I have one pic of it, will have to dig it up and post it...

You could have set a pup tent on the stump and had a camp fire it looked so big...

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back