Sandhill Crane

HowaHunter

Headed out in the early AM to hopefully bag a few Sandhill Cranes. Going to be a first for us as we have not tried our hands at these birds but it is sure to be an adventure.

I saw my first three living in the north last week. In Texas I hunted deer and hogs in a major flyway for them. You'd see harvested fields with 100's sandhills on it...always heard they were the "ribeye of the sky".

I saw my first three living in the north last week. In Texas I hunted deer and hogs in a major flyway for them. You'd see harvested fields with 100's sandhills on it...always heard they were the "ribeye of the sky".

Have always wanted to confirm that comment. Let us know howahunter...good luck.

Good luck! I've hunted them, but haven't killed one. Way cool bird. They come through IN by the thousands, but there's no hunting season on them.

This sounds like a fun hunt. Growing up in Michigan we weren't allowed to hunt them but would see them sometimes when we were goose hunting. I've always wondered what they taste like. Let us know if you get one.

Good luck hunting. I got 7 of them around here never seen them here before. Looks like the beak could do some damage. How about some cool pictures:)

Ribeye of the sky is a joke. The one I shot two years ago tasted like a bloody, livery, dog turd. It was cooked medium rare just like a steak or other grilled waterfowl. I have'nt put in for the tag since.

This juvy tasted pretty good

_MG_8943-L.jpg

Ribeye of the sky is a joke. The one I shot two years ago tasted like a bloody, livery, dog turd. It was cooked medium rare just like a steak or other grilled waterfowl. I have'nt put in for the tag since.

You must have gotten a bad one then. I've eaten several and they were all delicious.

I have had some that were excellent table fare and have had others that the dog wouldn't eat.

Never have had a good swan, that is what the jerky and sausage pile is for.

Nemont

I have had some that were excellent table fare and have had others that the dog wouldn't eat.

Never have had a good swan, that is what the jerky and sausage pile is for.

Nemont

I even used your great smoking brine for my swan. It was barely edible. Everything else I have used your brine for has been excellent, especially a whole venison hindquarter.

Whelp. My shooting is sub par. Missed 4 times. Next weekend should be better now that I have some practice in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back