Sam Elliott comments on “The Power of the Dog”

Yes, but they had Clint freaking Eastwood...not an Englishman named Benedict
You mean the Clint Eastwood from an affluent San Francisco upbringing? The one who roughed out his conscription in the military during the Korean War as a lifeguard in California?

Thing is, all this Hollywood stuff is a smoke and mirrors fantasy. Actors can develop public personas and eventually internalize them, yeah. But, “all the world is a stage” or some such.

You mean the Clint Eastwood from an affluent San Francisco upbringing? The one who roughed out his conscription in the military during the Korean War as a lifeguard in California?

Thing is, all this Hollywood stuff is a smoke and mirrors fantasy. Actors can develop public personas and eventually internalize them, yeah. But, “all the world is a stage” or some such.
And Sam Elliot roughed out the Vietnam War in the Guards. John Wayne just hid out during WWII and used connections to dodge the draft. At one point he offered his service to be a behind the lines spy/saboteur. Apparently the head of the agency had a hard time not laughing in the Duke's face. First of all, that face was known to everyone. Second, Wayne was too full of himself and didn't know the meaning of discretion. Hardly the characteristics needed for a secret agent. Wayne was offended and decided if he wasn't good enough to play spymaster, he wasn't good enough to carry a gun in the jungle. Didn't stop that phony from wrapping himself in the flag as a super patriot the rest of his life or playing war hero in numerous movies. Dad was a real combat veteran and had Wayne's number. He refused to watch any of Duke's flicks while I was growing up.

Elliot was born in Sacramento and raised in Portland. He and his wife Katherine Ross live in their 3,700 sq ft Malibu Beach home on 3 acres of property. He does own a 200 acre farm in Harrisburg, OR purchased in the mid nineties. By his own admission, he and his wife only live there about a month a year. Elliot is a good cowboy character actor but to say he has any significant ranching history is laughable.
He owned and worked a ranch outside of town for years. Maybe it was his stunt double I was 2 feet from for an hour.

Yeah, that's the one, the one that looks like a tough western cowboy on screen, as opposed to the other guy. Nice guy, I met him at his tavern in Carmel once...

And Sam Elliot roughed out the Vietnam War in the Guards. John Wayne just hid out during WWII and used connections to dodge the draft. At one point he offered his service to be a behind the lines spy/saboteur. Apparently the head of the agency had a hard time not laughing in the Duke's face. First of all, that face was known to everyone. Second, Wayne was too full of himself and didn't know the meaning of discretion. Hardly the characteristics needed for a secret agent. Wayne was offended and decided if he wasn't good enough to play spymaster, he wasn't good enough to carry a gun in the jungle. Didn't stop that phony from wrapping himself in the flag as a super patriot the rest of his life or playing war hero in numerous movies. Dad was a real combat veteran and had Wayne's number. He refused to watch any of Duke's flicks while I was growing up.
Anyone can have their position on military service, but anyone complaining about another’s military or lack of military service doesn’t have much of a leg to stand on if they didn’t volunteer for the armed forces in a time of no draft.

Last edited:
Anyone can have their position on military service, but anyone complaining about another’s military or lack of military service doesn’t have much of a leg to stand on if they didn’t volunteer for the armed forces in a time of no draft.
Even less of a leg to stand on if the person dodged the draft.

Yeah, that's the one, the one that looks like a tough western cowboy on screen, as opposed to the other guy. Nice guy, I met him at his tavern in Carmel once...
Methinks those two are gonna have to settle the true cowboy question in the by having it out the old fashioned real old west way.

So I ask, did old Clint still appear strong enough to defeat Benedict in a thumb wrestling match?

Sam Elliott takes the winner.

Last edited:
Power of the dog was a very easy movie to turn off. I often wonder how they get anyone to finance these movies.
Please don't shit talk 1883. I am having withdrawals that it ended.

I saw an ad and that was enough. That and 1883...

Don't get me started on mollywood actors who were/are real phonies. And who you will never know & who was the real deal.
Or who can speak about serving their country in reality. No matter how they got there.

I saw an ad and that was enough. That and 1883...

Don't get me started on mollywood actors who were/are real phonies. And who you will never know & who was the real deal.
Or who can speak about serving their country in reality. No matter how they got there.
NO!!! Pu-leeezz don't come down on 1883!! I love that series!! I don't care if it's real, phoney, factual, fairy tale,,,,,,, I don't care if the actors are overpaid crybabies! I love that show. Please don't pop my fantasy bubble.

NO!!! Pu-leeezz don't come down on 1883!! I love that series!! I don't care if it's real, phoney, factual, fairy tale,,,,,,, I don't care if the actors are overpaid crybabies! I love that show. Please don't pop my fantasy bubble.
Sorry,I also laugh when I watch any old Wayne serial western I have now, or any of his acting in reality. But he was a nice guy and gave me beer once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back