Salmon Zone Forest Fires

superdave450

Coming down from Canada in 3 weeks and it looks like there are going to be a lot of displaced hunters in these units (36,36-b) this bow season due to the eleven mile fire. Large area is closed to hunting with a long fire fight expected. Coincidentally the fire started mere hours after I purchased my elk tag for the area! What are the residents experience with forest fires in the area? Can we expect the closure areas to shrink as they gain any sort of containment? Sounds like they expect this to last until snowfall?

Further on the note if anyone has any info on where to start in 21 or 21A that would be greatly appreciated for bow season in mid September. Mad scramble on the internet scouting front. I did spend some time poking around the Zones in July when I was there, but only from the vehicle!

Sure hope mother natures brings rain and the firefighters stay safe battling the blaze!

I am really hoping for rain. I'm driving up there tomorrow for the weekend. It was supposed to be for my archery antelope hunt, but it may turn into helping friends prep their properties in case the fire moves closer in to Challis. I'll post an update or photos when I can.

I'm not sure what to expect on the fire closure area, but would guess it would be relaxed when fire activity and danger is reduced.

I just stopped by the fire camp here in Challis, but was unable to see any updated maps of closure areas. The fire is now over 10,600 acres, and the wind is gusting pretty hard from the southwest right now. We need rain.

36 is not in your network. 21 and 21A could be great, stick with your same game plan and you should do fine. I have spots for you to check out but I'm going on 0 for my last 11 on helping people with places and having them report back to me...or even go hunt.

Thanks Oak - interesting there is more info online than at the ops center. (at least that I was able to find) Looks like today's update revised the area down to 9,641 acres.

The area did get a little rain last night, starting around 3 a.m. It sounded pretty loud on the tent roof, but when I dug into the ground this morning it was only wet down about a half inch. At least it cleared the air and apparently gave the fire crews the opportunity they needed. They started transporting crews in via helicopter this morning.

Here's what I saw this morning - no smoke. The fire is more or less beyond the whitish building just left of center.
Challis-pano.jpg

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back