PEAX Equipment

Salmon Dilemma

After 12 years of loving living here and being genuinely interested in most things Alaskan I guess I just picked up a few bits of knowledge here and there.

MarvB said:
What if the sea lions eat the Indians????

LMFAO.... It is still NOT the Sea Lions Fault!!! If they were not breeching so many dam's they would not have these kinds of issues.... yeah Kill the Sea Lions for using their heads!!!! This is a human error, so why kill the sea lions???? :BLEEP: Idiots!

They were blaming the sea lions and the Indians for less salmon, so I put that together and came up with a suggestion to get the Indians to kill the sea lions to save the salmon. It sounds like its perfectly legit, except the problem is the smolts can get down the river. Why can't they get down the river?

Maybe they could make a fence, the smolts could get out, but the sea lions could not get in? Sea lions are big, smolts are small, right? Give the smolts a swimming chance. Have they tried that yet?

Make a big circle at the beginning and end of the ladders.

Tom, sometimes People don't care about the future, they only care about what they can get done Now!!!

They screw it up for the future generations, for example, all the dams they built 50 years ago, we are paying for now!

I am not saying ALL Dams are a bad things, but they dam up everything!!!
|oo |oo

This is why the Salmon Can't get through naturally

The problem is the hotspot is in and around the $130 million fish ladders that the state of Oregon built to help endangered salmon migrate past the Bonneville Dam — not to help sea lions help themselves to all they can eat.

Do they have a fence there? I came up with the fence idea. I could be a big basket on the up end of the dam. Smolts can go through but sea lions can't.

WH's OutdoorsChick said:

LMFAO.... It is still NOT the Sea Lions Fault!!! If they were not breeching so many dam's they would not have these kinds of issues.... yeah Kill the Sea Lions for using their heads!!!! This is a human error, so why kill the sea lions???? :BLEEP: Idiots!

What dams are they breaching? I hadn't heard about that. Killing a few sea lions wouldn't hurt anything either. They're not endangered any more.

Oh, is that what she meant. Its not a good type of breaching, they eat the smolts. We need the good kind of breeching, so the smolts can get out to sea.

If you're a smolt or a salmon fisherperson, you say kill the sea lions, that's good.
If you're a sea lion or a save the sea lion person, you say let them eat the smolts, that's good.

We add up all the votes, here it looks like, the fisherperson's say stop the sea lions from eating the smolts. Maybe they'll eat the pike instead and that will be even better, for everybody. No body wants to save the pike, I guess pike numbers are up?

Tom said:
If you're a smolt....., you say kill the sea lions, that's good.
If you're a sea lion ...., you say let them eat the smolts, that's good.

?

Tom,
Have you actually ever heard a smolt or a sea lion say something? :confused:

Washington Hunter said:
What dams are they breaching? I hadn't heard about that. Killing a few sea lions wouldn't hurt anything either. They're not endangered any more.

Typo Dear... I should have said if they HAD NOT built the DAYM Dams

as YOU WOULD SAY

KALATE'

Back