Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sako 85/McMillan bedding

MTLabrador

Have any Sako aficionados out there messed around with bedding the funky recoil lug on the Sako 85 Finnlight? There is a small lug built into the front action screw hole, which aligns with a recess in the actual recoil lug, which fits into the stock on its own. The lug was a tight press fit on the factory stock which I just replaced with a McMillan (factory stock finish was starting to peel off). I am planning on bedding the separate L shaped lug into the stock first, then skim bedding the action over the top. Anyone else try something similar? Anyone have any preferences between Devcon, Acraglass gel, or Steelbed?

BEDF38D5-572B-4ACE-A43B-62FEC4655DBD.jpeg
The recoil lug set into the recess in the stock.

B433A9E6-5F6B-41CF-92B7-3307218BD460.jpeg
At least she looks good.

Following....my SIL left his Finnlight in the case too long & gummed the factory. I’d like to replace it with a Mickey.

Following....my SIL left his Finnlight in the case too long & gummed the factory. I’d like to replace it with a Mickey.
I did the same, the factory stock was the only thing I haven’t absolutely loved about this rifle. This is my first McM, went with the Sako classic pattern and I love the feel.

Does the action mate with the floating piece well enough you could super glue it together and bed as if attached to the action? Then you’d clean up the glue and snug it up. I know some guys do that with the floating Tikka lug, granted it’s a clean rectangle. I’m no expert, only done a couple of my own, and no Sako’s. @cahunter805 you ever done an 85?

Does the action mate with the floating piece well enough you could super glue it together and bed as if attached to the action? Then you’d clean up the glue and snug it up. I know some guys do that with the floating Tikka lug, granted it’s a clean rectangle. I’m no expert, only done a couple of my own, and no Sako’s. @cahunter805 you ever done an 85?
I hadn’t thought of that idea, but it sounds like it would work well.

I’ve never done an 85 but I would do as Snowy suggested also. Glue it with a light amount and clamp it. Let it dry and clean up and excess glue.
I would also recommend buy some long bolts the same thread as the action at your local hardware store. Cut the heads off and use them as studs to help keep the action centered when bedding.
I like Devcon but if you’re only doing this one stock Marine Tex comes in 2oz sizes on amazon and works well if you let it set up about 10 minutes before applying it. Also be sure to spend the time prepping and fitting the action and barrel in the stock. A few wraps of tape on the barrel will help center it in the channel. Tape off your stock and use modeling clay to fill the Magazine cutout and trigger cutout in your action and other tiny spots like the bolt notch. The more prep work and fitting you do the less clean up and better fit you will have.
That’s a great looking rifle!

Second the long bolts and tape wraps. Works awesome.

I’ll ship you some Devcon if you want I use it then send it back.

I’ve never done an 85 but I would do as Snowy suggested also. Glue it with a light amount and clamp it. Let it dry and clean up and excess glue.
I would also recommend buy some long bolts the same thread as the action at your local hardware store. Cut the heads off and use them as studs to help keep the action centered when bedding.
I like Devcon but if you’re only doing this one stock Marine Tex comes in 2oz sizes on amazon and works well if you let it set up about 10 minutes before applying it. Also be sure to spend the time prepping and fitting the action and barrel in the stock. A few wraps of tape on the barrel will help center it in the channel. Tape off your stock and use modeling clay to fill the Magazine cutout and trigger cutout in your action and other tiny spots like the bolt notch. The more prep work and fitting you do the less clean up and better fit you will have.
That’s a great looking rifle!
Good advice, thanks! Much appreciated. I think I’ll try this method.

Last edited:
Second the long bolts and tape wraps. Works awesome.

I’ll ship you some Devcon if you want I use it then send it back.
I appreciate the offer, thanks! I also need to bed my new 700 and I want to redo the crap factory bedding on my old Winchester .270, so I need to just get a tub from Brownells. Thanks though.

Have you shot it yet? I'd shoot it before bedding it. It'll provide a baseline for if you do bed it. And/or it may shoot well enough that you leave it alone.

Have you shot it yet? I'd shoot it before bedding it. It'll provide a baseline for if you do bed it. And/or it may shoot well enough that you leave it alone.
I haven’t, and I’m nervous to shoot it without bedding at least the floating lug. The lug was a TIGHT fit in the factory stock and there’s enough wiggle room now that I don’t want it to be moving around under recoil.

All 3 of mine are with the boys now and are still sub minute as born. The degraded stock event was operator error. I too will bed a McMillan fix. Good thread.

All 3 of mine are with the boys now and are still sub minute as born. The degraded stock event was operator error. I too will bed a McMillan fix. Good thread.
A year later I finally remembered to finish the project and post an update. I ended up bedding only the recoil lug and it’s shooting as well as it ever has. The new stock is a very nice upgrade over factory.

181 Hammers shot well but my twist is a little slow, so I’m shooting a very fast 168 TTSX now with plans for the 174 Hammer in the future (.300 Win Mag). I might add a turret or change scopes at some point, but the standard 3.5-10x40 VX3 will handle most shots in the country I hunt.

4367F402-5C0E-4E88-AED1-E77B55F4EBDC.jpeg

Last edited:
A year later I finally remembered to finish the project and post an update. I ended up bedding only the recoil lug and it’s shooting as well as it ever has. The new stock is a very nice upgrade over factory.

181 Hammers shot well but my twist is a little slow, so I’m shooting a very fast 168 TTSX now with plans for the 174 Hammer in the future. I might add a turret or change scopes at some point, but the standard 3.5-10x40 VX3 will handle most shots in the country I hunt.

View attachment 187033

Nice work!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back