Yeti GOBOX Collection

Saddle up Iowa, our public lands are under attack!

Gellar

Hf 542 was introduced yesterday by representative Sieck(r-mills) and of course backed by farm bureau. Here is a breakdown of the bill presented by the Iowa Association of County Conservation boards. For those not familiar with Iowa we have 99 counties and all of them have a County Conservation board, but this will affect Iowa Dnr land too. They provide services from parks and campgrounds, hunting and fishing areas, as well as environmental education in our schools. REAP is a state funding source used by the conservation agencies. Let your elected officials you do not favor this action and if you have farm bureau ins. Let them know how you feel as well!

Attachments

• 2E557F2F-92F5-47B3-9017-8B8BD9E4FE89.png
    2E557F2F-92F5-47B3-9017-8B8BD9E4FE89.png
    286.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 1073122C-CF8A-4FC9-B350-35053D82F571.png
    1073122C-CF8A-4FC9-B350-35053D82F571.png
    262.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 9217E6F5-F914-46EE-9701-055AD463BC23.png
    9217E6F5-F914-46EE-9701-055AD463BC23.png
    286.2 KB · Views: 15
Why would the Iowa Association of County Conservation Boards suggest this? Am I missing something? Why would they not want to be able to purchase more land? I understand why Farmer Bob doesn't want the state or county bidding on land that he wants to buy from his neighbor to expand his personal farming operation.

I am trying to understand what is the motivation for this? The amount of land that would be remove from tax roles is really pretty trivial, is it not? Is this just a potiical posturing thing? I'm not getting it given the incredibly small amounts of land available the public.

Here's a link to what BHA has to say about HF 542 and SSB 1221

Why would the Iowa Association of County Conservation Boards suggest this? Am I missing something? Why would they not want to be able to purchase more land? I understand why Farmer Bob doesn't want the state or county bidding on land that he wants to buy from his neighbor to expand his personal farming operation.
They are not proposing it. This is the cliff notes version of the bill and how it would affect CCBs.

I am trying to understand what is the motivation for this? The amount of land that would be remove from tax roles is really pretty trivial, is it not? Is this just a potiical posturing thing? I'm not getting it given the incredibly small amounts of land available the public.
The amount of land is very minimal since REAP pays lost property tax revenue to the county when a private piece is bought.

Farm Bureau. They also want to eliminate conservation easements in Iowa. Just wait for that bill.

the FB is behind another anti hunting/conservation something or other.. shocker. The Farm Bureau is a disease. Someday there will be reckoning to what modern ag is doing to the land.. but i suppose the government will always be there to prop the industry up :rolleyes:

Does the Farm Bureau even represent farmers anymore? All the time it seems they are involved in things regarding hunting, wildlife, etc. that average farmers I've talked to either wouldn't support or really do not care about one way or another.

Farmers think they do. And for that reason, FB is a heavy hitter. I'm not sure the NRA represents shooters, but a segment of gun owners and the public and politicians think they do, and again, they get power out of proportion to their quantifiable leverage.

Reactions: ZBB
Here's a link to what BHA has to say about HF 542 and SSB 1221

Not only does that link show what BHA has to say but includes automated form for emailing prepared message to your own district representatives.....seems like an awesome tool. I sent my message and will share that link with all of my friends and family here...encourage all Iowa hunttalkers to do the same!

The sub committee meeting is this morning March 4 at 10:30. Winneshiek County Conservation is sending a full charter bus in opposition. Hopefully many others will go, call or email too.

I didn't make it, but from what I saw the meetings were a huge success. Packed house!

Edit: Just saw that SB 1221 is advancing to the Senate Natural Resources & Environment committee.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back