Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Saddle hunting??? Talk me into it.

Bigbuck, are you bow hunting or gun hunting?
Both. I bow hunt all season except during gun season unless I get a buck early in the 16 day gun season and then I go back to bow. We can take 2 bucks and 4 does, all of which can be with a bow but during gun you can only take 1 buck and 2 does so I normally try to get 1 buck in bow and then save my other for gun season and the rut unless something really good steps out.

I got into it late last season and got the main saddle for Christmas. I have been piecing things together all summer with money from odd jobs.

This is what I have so far

Cruzr XC with pouch and backrest and upgraded ropes
Tethrd XL platform
Tethrd Skeltor climbing sticks
SG Avail 2200 pack

And a few little other odds and ends like a bow rope and stealth strips to quiet things down.

Its not cheap but like said before this stuff holds its resale value so if I need to I can sell it and recoup most of my money.

Definitely the way to go IMHO if your hunting public and or getting to know new areas. Not sure I'd go that route if I had private land.

@Dsnow9 is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to tree climbing, there are a ton of different ways to go about. You can use sticks and a linemans belt or climb up a rope.

Last edited:
I got into it late last season and got the main saddle for Christmas. I have been piecing things together all summer with money from odd jobs.

This is what I have so far

Cruzr XC with pouch and backrest and upgraded ropes
Tethrd XL platform
Tethrd Skeltor climbing sticks
SG Avail 2200 pack

And a few little other odds and ends like a bow rope and stealth strips to quiet things down.

Its not cheap but like said before this stuff holds its resale value so if I need to I can sell it and recoup most of my money.
Yeah I got a killer deal on the hawk sticks. Got them at basspro but they priced matched midway for $99.99 for the 4 pack. Got a good deal on the saddle too with using a coupon code I got from going to the Full Draw Film Tour.
Definitely they way to go IMHO if your hunting public and or getting to know new areas. Not sure I'd go that route if I had private land.

@Dsnow9 is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to tree climbing, there are a ton of different ways to go about. You can use sticks and a linemans belt or climb up a rope.
Yeah I never even thought about it as a possibility until I got permission on some land next to our family land that we do not know well and we know the deer change where they are at as the season goes so with the saddle we can be super mobile and work to where we need to be based on trail cameras and scouting for last minute changes and I have also started doing more public land hunts as well so it will be a good tool for those hunts as well.

I’ve found that a saddle is great in 80-85% of situations. Still several times I’ve found where a hang on is not only necessary but the only option

So I got interested in this a little the other day because Tethrd came out with a new backpack and wow, talk about not cheap to get into this...$400 for this....$200 for that...$75 for this...and if you get the new pack that is another $400+....I'm sure I'm missing something too...I think I might stick to ground hunting...

I got into saddle hunting a few years back, mainly to reduce bulk and weight hiking into public land. My setup is a cruzr xc, modified shikar mini with 3 step aider and a predator xl platform. I started with 4 hawk heliums and decided it was bulkier than I wanted and went to one sticking and rappelling and it has been awesome. My whole setup weighs like 7lbs and i can hunt as high as I want. Also its extremely comfortable. So much so that i started replacing my private lock on sets. Now I Just put a ladder up in various spots and then carry my platform in to hunt.

I got into saddle hunting a few years back, mainly to reduce bulk and weight hiking into public land. My setup is a cruzr xc, modified shikar mini with 3 step aider and a predator xl platform. I started with 4 hawk heliums and decided it was bulkier than I wanted and went to one sticking and rappelling and it has been awesome. My whole setup weighs like 7lbs and i can hunt as high as I want. Also its extremely comfortable. So much so that i started replacing my private lock on sets. Now I Just put a ladder up in various spots and then carry my platform in to hunt.

I am not sold on the one sticking yet. I may end up giving it a whirl though. Cutting a few more pounds and some bulk from my set up is intriguing.

I am not sold on the one sticking yet. I may end up giving it a whirl though. Cutting a few more pounds and some bulk from my set up is intriguing.
Honestly I find it easier than hanging 4 sticks on the way up and definitely faster and a lot more fun coming back down

Honestly I find it easier than hanging 4 sticks on the way up and definitely faster and a lot more fun coming back down
I hate the noise, time, and weight of having to carry around those sticks. I was going to go to the one stick approach, and then my son went all the way to no sticks using the SRT (single rope tree) climbing approach. I bought the stuff and tried it out a few times. I really like it. Lightest weight, least noise.

I prefer a hang on for comfort but there are spots that the extra concealment of being behind a tree in a saddle is a difference maker. Nicer for walking through the woods too.

For a person getting into hunting I think it's a great option. I moved from out west to KY and was forced into a tree for the first time. For me, hunting public land it's a great system. I haven't found a tree that I wanted to hunt that I couldn't. For me I just wanted a one and done system.

Back