Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

sable?

oldoregon

is it a sable horn?
fa5111a7.jpg

hump.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-12-2003 16:39: Message edited by: oldoregon ]</font>

see guys, i really dont know jack about afrika, never been there, and never will have enough mony to go there. I got this from an uncle, when i was 10 years old, somebody once told me they though it was a sable but didnt know for sure... so i came her to find out for sure!

My guess is that it's a sable or Roan. Could you give the dimensions? With the dimensions we can determine between the two 90%. It has a more graceful apperance then a typical Roan has but I have been fooled by photography in the past.

It would be well below the minimum for a Rowland ward Sable. However if the other Horn was identical it would be exactly the SCI minimum of 100pts. RW Only measures the longest single horn and has a minimum of 50"

SCI is 100 and measures the length of both and the girth of both and adds the whole works together. Hence the 100 points if your other horn was also a 50 point score.

Don't fret not being into the RW book. Rowland Ward is an Elite measure of trophy status. It's a much higher standard then the SCI minimums. However they score things so much differently than SCI that most people(Americans) use the SCI scoring system.

JJHACK,

What Roland Ward book do you work from?

In my book Sable has to be 41 7/8 inch to qualifyand not 50 inches as you say.

Maybe they have changed the minimum since long ago when I last learned these numbers? But by such a whopping amount?

Old Pro.

Old Pro, good catch on that observation. The minimum is 41-7/8 for the common sable. while typing with my 2 year old sitting on my lap I often hurry through these posts and try to keep him from reaching the keys. He likes to help me type! Anyway I must have been thinking of something else and sure did make a mistake on that number. I think I must have been thinking of the total score of the horn in question.

I have always been wondering what the guys at RW were thinking when they used so many fractions for the measurements. If they needed to get that precise whay not go to mm instead so as to have a round number? It would sure be easier to remember the minimum scores with out the fractions involved. Especially when they are different fractions for many species.

Why 41-7/8" why not just 42" Why does the impala end in 5/8" why not 1/2" Funny scoring system. I suppose it would just be easier to use millimeters for RW instead of inches. At least for me.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back