Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Rustic Mountain Taxidermy Deer Mount....

Moosie

Grand poopa
So, we've been taking in some cool things in at the shop. Mostly standard 4 point bucks, 6 point bulls, Bear Rugs, birds, etc. But this Buck is really Kick A$$ I think.

It's an almost 30" 2 point. He didn't have the cape and shot another buck (Was a 4 point but a small one) and wanted us to use the cape.

To me it looks more like an Impala cape ;)

But the Mount looks good. It's not done yet but Here it is in the current stage :

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

moosie
Interesting rack...I like the width for sure. so do you think it was a young deer with good potential...or an older deer that was all he had?

I've never seen one myself, but I wonder if it might be a hybrid. Waaaay back in school, I remember hearing that although uncommon, they do happen where ranges overlap.

Not sure anything about You just don't see that many forked horns of that size. I've killed pleanty of deer with 2 points but they are usually 8" wide :D :D

I would dust him in a second, he has to be old, looking at those knarly thick bases he has.

On a side note, we found a winter kill last February. It was a 2 point with bases pushing 7 inches. We sent in the teeth and just got the results. He was freaking 12 years old.

Kind of a nasty pic, but the bases need to be seen to appreciate. .

The more I look at the mounted buck above, the more I like that buck.

P1000604.jpg

You should see the clean full skull. I need to go over to my friends and snap a pic of it.

Fugger spotted it right over my head first.

So our debate on the buck was much the same as the mounted buck above. Was he always a dink that was always passed over for 11 years? Or was he a good buck that recessed into that 2 point? He was found close to some premo private, where folks are looking for gaggers.

Last edited:
Here is one Oak wanted to see. He ended up only tooth aging at 7 years old. I think a lion busted him. The tooth aging is fun, just wish it wasn't $30 a pop.

P1000795.jpg

Yeah...MASS...Id shoot (at) it w/o a second thought!
I bet it had good mass all along but maybe not tall n wide like people look for in mulies?

The tooth aging is fun, just wish it wasn't $30 a pop.

Here is what their website says. I wasn't a math major, but their "example" doesn't make sense to me?:confused:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Prices[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Minimum charge is $60.00. This will cover processing and aging for 1-5 teeth. For quantities greater than 5 teeth, the charge is $10.50 each. (For example, processing and aging of 6 teeth would cost $63.) Microscope slides will be stored at the lab as they are now. The service is available only for clients in the U.S.[/FONT]​

How many deadheads does a guy a find a year?

We had 2, therefore $60 between 2 guys is..........................................$30.00 a piece.

I suppose if I guy wants to get the $10 special, he should round up a couple friends to do it. But I am a prick and few people like me.

Back