Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Ruger American in 308

I bought a Ruger American a few years back and I have always had issues with the magazines. I have shot hunting rifles since I was a kid, but they have always had the hinge plate. This was the first rifle I owned with a magazine. I really didn't do any research on the issues with the magazine, and have already bought a new mag and I am still having issues. I really enjoy shooting the rifle, and I want to fix the problem. So I am thinking about buying a new stock that utilizes a different type of magazine. Mag-pul makes one and the magazines would be the same as my AR-10. So now I want to do some research and ask on here, are there better options than Mag-pul, or is that a good way to go.

p.s. I like the fact that it is a light rifle and want to keep it as light as possible for Elk hunting.

I've used the Magpul mags for my 260rem, 30-06, and 300wm, so all sizes of Magpul AICS type mags. They've been great, I'm super pleased. Obviously they are longer than the Ruger mags and stick out from the bottom of the stock a bit, but they are also much flatter. This allows me to carry a spare easily in a cargo pocket. The only issue with the Magpul Hunter stock you're looking at is weight, its a bit hefty.

Stock fit and function is a key part of the rifle I would pick the stock I wanted for my intended usage and overall fit - wood, synthetic, chassis, etc - and then figure out the magazine. To do in reverse really is the tail wagging the dog.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my Ruger American magazines. I contacted Ruger via their online form, listed the SNs (I have 2 of them) and they contacted me within a day or two, and I received my new and much better functioning magazines about a week later. I highly recommend this approach. The new design of the magazine is much sturdier, and actually works as intended (novel concept, right?)

If weight is a factor that Magpul stock is like 3.5 pounds. I believe there are some drop in aftermarket set ups for aics mags in your factory stock. I know a couple of the newer American models come with them from the factory. You may be able to get set up directly by Ruger.

I have a Ruger American in 308 as well with the rotary style magazine. I have never had an issue but then I push load the magazine which I understand is how you want to load it. The method of sliding rounds in and down versus a straight push is what I have heard can muck with the rotary spring. That all said I probably should get one of the replacements myself but then I have owned the rifle for over 5 years and no issues. I may buy a new one at some point though.

Stock fit and function is a key part of the rifle I would pick the stock I wanted for my intended usage and overall fit - wood, synthetic, chassis, etc - and then figure out the magazine. To do in reverse really is the tail wagging the dog.
I definitely get what you're saying. I guess it's because I really don't need a new stock I just need a rifle that works.

I had the same problem with my Ruger American magazines. I contacted Ruger via their online form, listed the SNs (I have 2 of them) and they contacted me within a day or two, and I received my new and much better functioning magazines about a week later. I highly recommend this approach. The new design of the magazine is much sturdier, and actually works as intended (novel concept, right?

I did this last year before elk season and never heard back. I most likely messed something up, so I just tried again. Thank you.

One thing I forgot to mention. The first time they replied, it was with a helpful tone along the lines of "we'll get you taken care of," but it also requested that I verify my country of citizenship, and that I could own magazines. I had to submit another CS request via their online portal, referencing the CS token number that I was initially given, stating as such. Then they shipped the magazines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back