Rubs and scrapes

To clarify WH, it was you second that was taken with my gun and in my stand. Just thought that I would remind you. What are brothers for, right? ;)

Yes I killed out on Sunday of opening weekend after dad had on opening day morning. That was the one that I killed with the wife in the deer stand with me. I do not know who was more excited her or me. I just had to make sure that when dad used it that he did not mess it up! ;)

You really had me wondering deerslayer.I thought 250 deer,that sounds like a southern thing.
Whitetail hunter,I know where rockports at.Your downstream from me.How far are you from Tell City?

Yeah, Engman........I'm in culture shock to say the least!......I'm used to slaying stuff!......here, you have to pick and choose, and savor every moment........a 4 day season for deer here, and 4 month back home........I'm still scratching my head about what I was ever thinking!!!!!! :eek:
DS

I guess that is part of what makes life so fun Josh! ;) ........I plan to stay out here at least 5 or 6 more years, and if at that point I still miss what I had, I will go bacl and get it!.........but I had to live in the Rockies before I died and wanted to do it while I was young enough to still enjoy it.

While I could never have a place as nice as the one I had in regards to hunting whitetails, I have always managed to find something quite special every where I've gone, so I'm not too worroed about it if I do go back one day.

But for now, I'm just enjoying the views, and I at least have all the memories, and the knew ones I'm sure to make here.....
DS

Nut,

I hope you are correct. I have seen several rubs within 100 yards of where you will be sitting for deer season.

I never really paid much attention to rubs or scrapes because I sit so far away from where the deer come out of the woods, it really matters not - to me. I hunt deer trails more then anything else. Knowing where the trails are from the bedding area to the fields - where the food is - to me is more important.

Don

Shoot Whitetail! I have been to Grandview Several times.There is a coon club down there I hunt out of.Do you know where the coon club is?

No i sure don't. I have only lived here for about 2 1/2 years now. I am still trying to find some places around here to hunt squirl, rabbit and doves let alone deer. My problem is that I know no one that lives in these little towns. I was born and raised in Gibson County. So do most of my hunting there or deer hunt with my best friend and with my father when he goes.

This is all irrelevant to what time of year it is.Early season,hunt the trails from bedding to food,preferably as close to the bedding area as possible since the big bucks won't be seen until dark in the food plots.As the rut gets closer and more intense,search out the big rubs and hot scrapes. This is where the receptive does will be and the bucks will check in routinely to follow the does.If you find the does the bucks will be right behind them.I live where some of the biggest bucks in the US are and that is Kansas.Where 140 class bucks walk so you can take a 160 or 170 class.These deer are not dumb and you have 1 chance at them and that is it.I will be real suprised if any big bucks are taken here during the muzzle loader season starting tommorow because the corn is still un cut.They get into the corn fields and lay down.Hunting will not be good here until the crops are cut and the deer return to the timber.Late rut is the time for the big bucks.

Back