RTIC Cooler Optimization

Bullshot

Looking for comments from current RTIC owners. What is best (most efficiently packed) size or combo of sizes for deboned meat:

-1cow elk
-1 bull elk
-1 elk and 1 deer
-1 moose

I own a 110, never used it yet. Tossed my old broken up marine sized coleman coolers this winter. To my eye, the RTIC 110 looks ok for a deer or two pronghorn, but a bit small for even a cow elk. worried it would take 3 or 4 for a moose and these things are not cheap or lightweight.

(i realize ya gotta draw that moose tag 1st, so maybe “worried” is a bit of an overstatement... it would be a great “problem” to have someday.)

Last edited:
I think you could fit a whole cow elk in a 110. I had an RTIC 65 and then another cheap cooler (48 qt) and fit a de-boned cow elk in those two.

I have the 145. I am 6’3 230lbs and I can curl up in it. Not sure what that translates into elk capacity though. I do know once you fill it up with frozen milk jugs you don’t want to have to move it. When I load it up with meat from my gila elk this fall I will post some pics. 🤠

I got a cow elk in a 110, but without a lot of room to spare. Had to use loose ice instead of block ice.
My butchered bull took two 110s and I used dry ice.
No clue on moose.
My hunting partner and I both each have a nice Yeti/RTIC 110 that we use when we really need to keep stuff cold (like family summer camping) and we have also procured three of the Coleman extreme 110s. They are both light and cheap. And despite being 1/4 the cost and weight is similar Yeti/RTICs they hold ice about 90% as well. Further, it’s pretty rare we need to haul several hundred pounds of meat in summer temps. And if you are really worried about it getting too hot, throw some dry ice in and wrap your cheap cooler with your sleeping bag on your drive home.
We brought back two bulls in October 2017 and had to buy an extra Coleman to get everything home. The meat in the used $50 Coleman was in the same shape as the meat in my $500 yeti. Ice seemed to be about the same too.

Sounds like a 45 or 65 alone would be sufficient for deer. 110 and a 65 is more than enough for cow elk, plus a deer or ‘lope with loose ice, but the 2nd 110 would be nice for a big bull. Forget my question on moose... if I draw a tag, I’ll splurge on a 3rd 110, its gotta be about a 1/3 bigger than a bull elk.

Thanks, this has been helpful to hear your experiences. I’ll put a 2nd 110 on my short term plan before fall and a 45 on my Christmas /Birthday list as wife always laments how hard it is to shop for me, LOL.

I have a 45 and a 110. The 45 i mainly use for drinks and is on the small side. It would probably fit a deboned whitetail but wouldnt leave much room for ice. The 110 should fit a deboned cow elk. It been 2 years since i was out west but for 2 of use we brought home 2 mule deer and a cow elk. 1 mule deer was processed and frozen and went into a 65 quart cabelas rotomold. The other mule deer and elk we brought back boned in quarters and filled the 110 rtic and a 120 coleman.

What about a small chest freezer with generator? Seems to be the ticket for things like moose or multiple critters.?

What about a small chest freezer with generator? Seems to be the ticket for things like moose or multiple critters.?
Its a great idea but I have another post where I describe my underpowered Toyota already straining with my trailer as-is. Adding a couple hundred optional pounds might put it over the edge.... if I am pulling meat home, I might just hit Loveland Pass and roll backwards all the way to the Utah border.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back