round wont chamber

tnctcb

i have 10 rounds of winchester surpreme brass that i loaded. it is trimmed to the same case length, same bullet depth and same oal(2.70) for my 243. the regular brass chambers just fine but the crome stuff wont let the bolt close completely. i tried to put it in my NEF rifle and it looked like it was fully chambered but when i closed it the ejector button wouldnt lock. would this chrome plated brass need to be handled differently for some reason or maybe it cant be reloaded as i was once told. this brass was also fl sized with the brass stuff.

I do not use nickle plated brass as it seems to have some issues plus the chance to ruin a sizing die. JMO
The reason it will not chamber in you rifles MIGHT be bullet seating depth and you should be able to see land marks on the bullet in this case. Another possibility is the shoulder did not bump back correctly when you full length resized the case or could have pulled on the sizer button. Did you full length or neck size this brass? Did you notice any squawk or chatter when with drawing the sizing button?

thanks for the help. i was able to find out another way(thanks tony) that the shoulder on the nickel stuff has to be pushed back a little farther than regular brass. since i only have 10 rounds of it ill just trash it and only use brass from now on. i guess im going to have to start investing in some 7wsm stuff because the only factory stuff i have used has been the nickel stuff.

I ran into the same problem a few years ago, with the 7 Mag. My mistake was pushing back the shoulder. I had the die set a tad too deep. The Mag just needed sized enough to grip the bullet well and still headspace on the belt.

Now, I always start with plenty of of room and only size down till I get a good grip and clean functioning. No problems since.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back