Caribou Gear

Rookie fly fishing question

Bob-WY

I fly fished a couple times as a kid, MANY years ago.

got a fly road last week from my wife for my birthday and am now trying to figure this out!

Question on how to approach something......

Last night wife and I were in a mountain lake, VERY deep quickly from shore. We were in our small boat and to much wind to break out the fly road, so we caught several brookies and a rainbow on spinners.

Anyway, the lake was formed by a damn where 2 rivers flowed into a draw. The sides of shore are STEEP, and it seems to continue into the water. I tried to drop anchor about 15 yards off shore, my 25 foot rope wasn't enough to reach bottom. I mention this because I would LOVE to flyfish here, sometimes from shore. It's to deep to wade, as I'd be over my head in 2-3 steps, so what is a casting technique I can lookup and learn to deal with very little to now back cast room?

If wife and I are in the boat with a bit more confidence I won't hook her, I will use the fly road, but on shore, not sure what to try

You can learn everything you'll ever need to know from this guy! In all seriousness though, get the roll cast down and find a way to make it work for you. Something you'll find is that everyone's casts vary a little bit. Experiment and make it work for your style!

Fly fishing in deep water usually requires a sinking line. A floating line won't be much help unless the fish are feeding on the surface. I also use a float tube extensively - eliminates the roll cast. :)

You can learn everything you'll ever need to know from this guy!

Everyone should watch Hank :)

As everyone is saying - Learning to snap a good roll cast is a great one in your arsenal for tight backcasts. With lakes in particular, you don't even need to really worry about pinpoint accuracy, as you're rarely needing to drop a fly in a spot the size of a paint can with appropriate hooks/piles/slack needed for a dead drift like on moving water. Just get it in their 'zone'

Beyond casting - unless the entire lake is this way (steep drop to black water 360' around the lake) - I'd also look for places where there is a shelf or something. It doesnt take much, I have a spot very similar to the one you describe on a local mountain lake, it drops to 30' depth really quickly on an entire shoreline, but there are a bunch of large boulders on the dropoff that attract vegetation/bugs/baitfish and basically serve as a 'false bottom'. Those boulders are basically the only place to reliably catch fish along that entire piece of the shoreline. If it's truly 'fjord-style' I'd focus on the upper 5'-20' of the water column.

Thanks! You guys rock! found those videos, which link to others and others, now I just have to practice it!

Simon Gawesworth has some excellent single handed Spey casting videos online. In addition to roll casting, these techniques will serve you well

Its also worth it to take a class if theres one local. If you start out with bad habits/technique its very tough to break.

Best bet is probably sink tip line as well as indicator fishing the shallows. I mainly fly fish rivers and if you get the stream small mountain stream can be easy for beginners.

You can learn everything you'll ever need to know from this guy! In all seriousness though, get the roll cast down and find a way to make it work for you. Something you'll find is that everyone's casts vary a little bit. Experiment and make it work for your style!

Ok that was just hilarious.

One more thought since the lake gets deep near shore. You may be able to do a more traditional sidearm cast parallel to the shore and still get your fly into the fish zone. Definitely learn to roll-cast though!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back