Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Rodents

idnative1948

Did a quick search, but came up nothing.

This may have been addressed earlier so... What do you do to keep rodents from chewing up the engine compartment of your vehicle while it is at base camp or trailhead? Was giving Big Bertha the once/twice over this morning to see if anything needs addressed before we head out and remembered my chewed-up engine compartment insulation from last year even though I am more concerned about wiring and brake lines (that porcupines are known to go after).

I have heard of hanging a bag of moth balls or that stinky Irish Spring soap under the hood. What say you all?

When I was in CA the rodents were a constant hassle. Rats & deer mice on coast,deer mice & marmots in Sierras. I heard bounce dryer fabric tied to wires in corners of eng. compartment helps.I tried it when I moved to NM and have not had wires chewed on. My neighbors vehicles are constantly getting chewed up.
They do constantly build nests in air filter and until I found a way to block air duct for vent would get in there.
Deer mice,chipmunks,wood rats are everywhere here and a constant battle for me still. Never leave my windows open. Hell, my neighbors have had rabbits jump out when they open the hood in town....lol
Guess I could tie a cat under the hood.
Been thinking of getting a barn cat,if it would not get eaten itself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back