Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Roads

VikingsGuy

First time onX & goHUNT user - really cool tools but in the end it comes down to road access to public lands. I am not able to tell on onX or google earth which roads are public (other than obvious highways) and which are private. I am I missing something in onX or in the end do I need to call local county officials?

Figuring out public roads can sometimes be a pain in the ass. Sometimes gravel roads turn into private roads so even if google earth shows a good road, you can't be sure that it's public like you mentioned.

The best way I know of is to go to the county website and find a public road map. Some counties are better than others with those maps but that's what I do. I know there are a few sites that supposedly show all the public roads in a state like WY but I've never used it.

If you get a good answer let me know. There have been a couple times that I thought I had access to a what appeared to be a county road only to find out that it was not. I am in the process of trying to understand if a road is assigned a number by the county if it considered public and more importantly if the Forest Service assigns a road a number is it publicly accessible.

You will need to call the county OnX does not research public/private roads. Also, remember that state lands are technically not public lands and have different rules for use then federal lands. Lots of people get confused when they come to Colorado as there is no public use of Colorado State lands, with the exception of a few properties that CPAW has leased for the public. Onx does not show which are leased and which aren't in Colorado.

You will need to call the county OnX does not research public/private roads. Also, remember that state lands are technically not public lands and have different rules for use then federal lands. Lots of people get confused when they come to Colorado as there is no public use of Colorado State lands, with the exception of a few properties that CPAW has leased for the public. Onx does not show which are leased and which aren't in Colorado.

Roads being named or having a number has nothing to do with them being public. There are lots of examples of named/ numbered roads that were abandoned by counties and are now private.

If I am coming to hunt elk second rifle on a self hunt. What do I need to do to get access and permits( if any) to canp and hunt unit GMU 371?

If I am coming to hunt elk second rifle on a self hunt. What do I need to do to get access and permits( if any) to canp and hunt unit GMU 371?

No permits are necessary, access points are limited. You will not be given access by private landowners across their land. I know many of them personally and they 100% do not allow access under any circumstances, it's not even worth a call.

Lots of people get confused when they come to Colorado as there is no public use of Colorado State lands, with the exception of a few properties that CPAW has leased for the public. Onx does not show which are leased and which aren't in Colorado.

Actually, I think ONX may have changed. During turkey season this year, I've specifically seen ONX say "No public access" on those that are not leased.

Just curious but do any states own land in adjoining/neighboring or other states?

No permits are necessary, access points are limited. You will not be given access by private landowners across their land. I know many of them personally and they 100% do not allow access under any circumstances, it's not even worth a call.
I can go in out of

How can I find someone to pack me in and out. I can set up my own camp, hunt a week and get some one to pack me out ?

It’s a wilderness area lol

I know nothing about the area, but if access via private land is denied then you either fuhgeddaboutit or fly over it; assuming no restrictions about landing [or hovering] an aircraft in a wilderness area.

How can I find someone to pack me in and out. I can set up my own camp, hunt a week and get some one to pack me out ?

Its probably better for you to start you own thread, as this question doesn't really pertain to this topic.

This is called a Drop Camp. Research that.

I will warn you that it is very difficult to find a good one, as most outfitters would rather get the full $$ to do a fully guided hunt.

Just curious but do any states own land in adjoining/neighboring or other states?

Actually I believe the University of Wyoming may own or be partners on land in Colorado, technically that would mean the state of Wyoming owns land in Colorado. At least they did in the past.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back