Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Roadkill Consumption in California Now Legal

good for them. waste not want not . an all that.

personally ,I'd have to be pretty hard up before I ate roadkill but I can assure you , if I were that hard up , I would not hesitate to chew the south end out of a north bound rino!

I would take roadkill if it was legal AND I saw it killed and know it was fresh AND it was legal for me to quickly dress it and remove the viscera and damaged parts that are not good to eat. I would say for the first half hour or so after a critter becomes roadkill, the meat is consumable but after that, yer at yer own risk. Even when it is cold.

Mom hit a doe when I was a kid. Dang near totalled the S10 she was driving. We got permission, loaded her up and had her frozen in a short while. It was the only deer we had that year. It ate just fine but I wonder if the deer didn't die instantly if it would taste bad.

Man I wish Wyoming would pass roadkill legislation. Our game wardens association fights it tooth and nail every time it's brought up. They honestly think people would go out and hit stuff on purpose. Im pretty sure someone that would do that is probably too busy poaching to weld on a bumper guard and go try and hit trophy animals, and you could easily make a rule that GF gets to confiscate the antlers, but it doesn't matter, they just don't want it and they'll fight it regardless.

Man I wish Wyoming would pass roadkill legislation. Our game wardens association fights it tooth and nail every time it's brought up. They honestly think people would go out and hit stuff on purpose. Im pretty sure someone that would do that is probably too busy poaching to weld on a bumper guard and go try and hit trophy animals, and you could easily make a rule that GF gets to confiscate the antlers, but it doesn't matter, they just don't want it and they'll fight it regardless.

Wyoming government as a rule has a big brother attitude and think they have to protect us from ourselves. They are reluctant to relinquish control once they get it. They also refuse to legalize scratch tickets that is sold in Colorado because it would fuel gambling addiction. They say they don't need the money from it but they do. Wyoming is facing a big time budget crisis right now.

On the plus side, next time this comes up in Wyo we can point to the fact that California is less restrictive on a consumptive use than Wyoming.

On the plus side, next time this comes up in Wyo we can point to the fact that California is less restrictive on a consumptive use than Wyoming.

So is Colorado. It was made legal in Colorado while I still lived there. I do see the G&F arguments though. Some people might claim it was roadkill if they were caught with a bunch of meat without a license. But then, there is a requirement that makes that argument mute. If you get a roadkill permit from law enforcement, that covers the problem. Not all of a roadkill is edible. There is usually internal damage that causes stomach contents and that to bleed into the meat. But in most cases, the back straps, hindquarters and at least one of the front quarters are recoverable if done immediately after the kill. I would not mess with any of the internal organs or even the tenderloins in most cases but you have to use your judgement then and know what you are doing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back