Rings and Bases recommendation

Darren8167

I have a new Weatherby Vanguard 2 chambered and .270 Win. I just ordered a VX5 3-15-44 from schmalts. You all have a recommendation for rings and bases?

Congrats on the new scope...great choice! I have a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x 44 Firedot Duplex on my new Super Grade and used the Leupold steel 2 pc. dual dovetail bases with the dual dovetail steel high rings. Nice, solid combo. The gun is a tack driver.

Those look fantastic WestKyHunt! Tunable for sharing. How are you liking your Vanguard? What is it chambered in?
It is a 7 Rem-Mag

Zero complaints from me so far. I purchased it at the beginning of 2020 so I havent shot it as much as I'd have liked, but with the 50 or so rounds that have been down the barrel I have had zero rifle problems.

Did have flyers every 4th shot the first time I took it out but that was because my local gun shop didn't torque the rings/bases correctly. I guess that's what I get for not doing it myself

Federal power-shocks pattern decent enough for shots within 200yd.
Hornady GMX are slightly better

Talleys on all my rifles and never had a problem. Leupold has sold a few too, though.

I've used a number of different brand's of bases and rings. The one piece Leupold and Redfield are my favorite but in truth, every set of rings and bases I've ever bought has worked fine so long as they were made for the rifle I put them on. Have to admit I got a set of aluminum Tasco years ago that were the most butt ugly things I ever saw but, they worked! As much though as people put into setting up their rifles it's amazing no one has ever shoot a .000" group! I believe that we tend to over think a lot of things about guns and shooting. If not, where's that .000" group? I don't think it's even been done with a machine rest!

I've used a number of different brand's of bases and rings. The one piece Leupold and Redfield are my favorite but in truth, every set of rings and bases I've ever bought has worked fine so long as they were made for the rifle I put them on. Have to admit I got a set of aluminum Tasco years ago that were the most butt ugly things I ever saw but, they worked! As much though as people put into setting up their rifles it's amazing no one has ever shoot a .000" group! I believe that we tend to over think a lot of things about guns and shooting. If not, where's that .000" group? I don't think it's even been done with a machine rest!
Don't underestimate Brockel....

Can’t go wrong with the Talleys or Leupold rings that have been suggested.

For the sake of variety, I’ll add Burris Signature Zee Rings. I have some on a .30-06 and they’ve given many years of reliable service without any issue.

Can’t go wrong with the Talleys or Leupold rings that have been suggested.

For the sake of variety, I’ll add Burris Signature Zee Rings. I have some on a .30-06 and they’ve given many years of reliable service without any issue.
don't think I've seen it mention anywhere. Little known fact about the Burris Bros. They both worked for Redfield in Denver before going out on their own years ago!

I stand by the Leupold Backcountry one-piece mounts!! They are on all my rifles.

Only one I have ever had problems with was a dovetail Leupold. If they have a solid base there isn’t much that can go wrong.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back