Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Rifles for a lifetime?

I joined in 2006, so I missed this gem

257 Roberts, takes the place of the 6mm stuff

7x57, takes the place of the 6.5 stuff

338 win mag. Seems about as relevant now as it ever was.

But don’t tell my wife that. I may have slightly underestimated.

Two 30-06. That will cover everything except the zombie apocalypse.
Ya know think at one time I would have agreeded even though I have only used one a few times. But a cousin had a pacemaker put in the right shoulder and doesn't think he can shoot his 30-06 any more without damageing it. If he can still shoot something I have rifles that hopefully he'll be able to use to keep him going! Strange how fragile we become as we age!

Late to the thread on this one, but;

Started with 308 Win (bolt for hunting, semi-auto to reach out and touch things .... repeatedly)

Just added 7mm Rem Mag for really foul weather hunting and fall 2024 Moose/Caribou hunt in BC

I do have a 1947 vintage Winchester single shot 22LR that my Dad got as a teenager. Never drilled for a scope so it's iron sights only. He passed last year so that rifle will never leave my safe. Still take the occasional rabbit with it though.

On the island, .300win mag for bear and always a back up centerfire rifle. also a shotgun,usually my old double 12 which has 20 ga.inserts as well........
If its grouse, then its 2 shotguns and mabe my SKS truck gun or my old 6.5mm mauser........if I'm, going hunting,its ALWAYS several days.....

The thing for me about when these old threads pop up or when I go down a rabbit hole in the way back machine on this site is I wonder if the OP is still alive? Or if a lot of the original posters are still alive? Or if their kids or grandkids hunt? Or if they’re on this site? And do they know that was a relative?

Anywho- I bought a Sako 7mm 7 years ago and I’ll never hunt with anything else

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back