Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Rifled Barrel for an Oldie

Brian in Montana

I'm really not into shotguns. I've owned a couple through the years for the occasional bird hunt, but that's about the extent of my experience with them. The only shotgun I currently own is an old Springfield 67H 12ga. Recently had the thought of getting a rifled slug barrel for it, if such a thing exists. Not sure where to look or if this is even a possibility. Largely just curious. Lots of deer out at our place and a bear got in our trash last night. Our HOA allows hunting out there, but only with archery, shotgun, BP.

I don't think anybody offers one, you might check ebay.
A route that would cost more than your shotgun would be to buy a rifled 12ga blank from Shaw and have a smith spin it up for you.
Is the barrel screwed into the receiver on that model?

I don't think anybody offers one, you might check ebay.
A route that would cost more than your shotgun would be to buy a rifled 12ga blank from Shaw and have a smith spin it up for you.
Is the barrel screwed into the receiver on that model?
I'm not even sure. I'll have to inspect it a little.

If I had to get one turned by a smith, I'll probably just buy another shotgun. I know a lot of modern shotguns have the option of getting 2 barrels when you buy them. I was wondering if rifled barrels for an old Springfield pump are halfway common. Seems they probably aren't.

I'd leave it alone!
Especially if it has any sentimental value to you!
Get a Savage 220 slug gun, if you want to shoot 12ga slugs!
I've seen some used recently going for cheap.
And that's cheap to ME! :oops:

Savage 220 is 20 gauge. Savage 212 is 12 gauge.
If memory serves anyway

Back