Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Lucky Draw CA Pig Hunt - Shotgun Options Help

Hunt was flooded out. Still fun to walk around where we could but it wasnt even a swamp, property was a lake. Im back to the position that just paying for a private guided hunt is a better use of time/money in CA unfortunately, unless you are close enough to public land thats you can put in the time cost effectively.
How hard could it be to find the unit? Just posting this you put a spotlight on it.
Meh @treedagain , CA DFW emails every single hunting license holder the link to apply. Pretty sure Im not ruining a really big secret.

Hunt was flooded out. Still fun to walk around where we could but it wasnt even a swamp, property was a lake. Im back to the position that just paying for a private guided hunt is a better use of time/money in CA unfortunately, unless you are close enough to public land thats you can put in the time cost effectively.

Meh @treedagain , CA DFW emails every single hunting license holder the link to apply. Pretty sure Im not ruining a really big secret.
You're not letting the cat out of the bag, there are plenty of other zones to pick from.
I heard @Redmt is offering self guided dozer hunts ...maybe....hopefully 🤣

Shit that dozer hunt looked way more promising lol. Seems like the pigs are fairly nomadic as they follow food sources through the seasons. Always had better luck when it was a wet winter with lots of green grass around, just too much water this time around. Pigs were pushed out.

Meh.....keep the lights on.

Sorry to hijack this thread but…I have nine boxes of federal 12 gauge copper slugs if you are interested. I was going to sell then on gun broker but they are available. They shot great in my Benelli. I moved away from northern VA where I needed them.

Put em up for sale @utah400elk I still have 5 boxes. Out here they went for $20/box too…. And were damn near impossible to find.

You're not letting the cat out of the bag, there are plenty of other zones to pick from.
I heard @Redmt is offering self guided dozer hunts ...maybe....hopefully 🤣
The problem with hunting piggies here is it's usually a crime of opportunity. I know where they are generally but you can't always count on it. They were on a 3 day pattern and have been up until a week ago and I haven't seen them since.

Joice Island, not about the secrecy 😳

Hey Y’all,

Its my lucky day! Friend and I just got notified that we drew a pig hunt!! Im not usually lucky at drawing stuff so feeling pretty good. Now, doing some logistics cause it is shotgun and archery only. We have 2 days to hunt and can each shoot 2 pigs. Neither of us have rifled shotguns, and being in lovely CA, we must be lead free. Lead free rifled slugs are harder to find than bigfoot riding a unicorn. So heres our options and if anyone has some leads, Id appreciate the help/knowledge.

- Mossberg 500 Rifled Barrel 12ga
We each have this gun, not the rifled barrel, barrels are discontinued and hard to find now. Would prefer the iron site but cantilever would work too. $$$

-lead free rifled slugs $

-Carlson rifled choke tube with a sabot copper slug. Anyone have any experience with this option? They are in stock for my benelli. $$

-Rifled barrel for a benelli $$$$ would rather not but its an option

-New gun - Sounds great but again $$$$ and im trying not to blow my hunting budget on pigs, or piss off my wife lol. Have some elk and deer hunts planned.

Thanks guys! I have a month to put this together. Appreciate the HT Army’s help!
The Carlson rifled choke with the sabot slug should work. We have killed deer with rifled chokes and sabot slugs with 870s.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back