MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Rifle Scope Failed During Hunt

Never had one fail while hunting, I have had a couple that I couldn’t zero or that wouldn’t hold it. I’ll remount the scope once and then it’s getting changed out

I had an old Redfield that fogged terribly on me. They repaired it once. The second time i got rid of it.

I had a cheap Bushnell that foiled my chances on what would have been my first bear.

Failed to confirm CDS allen screw torque during a CO elk sighting. The bull never came to a feasible shot yardage...moot outcome.
Was a VX6 & my first dial hunt...my fault for not confirming taut from last range session. No other hiccups...

I had a pretty new scope lose zero by 4 inches at 100 yards. I missed a bull 3 times at 400 and on inspection there was a 6 inch group just over his back.
Until that time I had never seen a scope out far enough to miss in 40 some years of hunting. I thought that the old "my scope got bumped" excuse was just an excuse.
After watching some YouTube videos I am not sure it is all that rare.
It cost me some money but I got a new scope of another brand that I believe will be dependable.

Had the internals of a Bushnell Elite fall out of a turret and into the tube. I still have it packed away somewhere with the idea of sending it back.

Had a Leupold that would constantly fog up, it was one of the cheaper models.

At home I bring more than one rifle because I can lock it up at my cabin. Out of state hunts I just bring a spare optic now.

In the early years of scoping high recoil 12ga slug guns it was fairly common. Of course we also typically bought cheap scopes.
Had a Tasco or Simmons (some cheapo) where the reticle lines shifted position out of place.
Ditto
Pulled up on a bull 15-20 years ago and and instead of the crosshairs in my Simmons 44Mag scope looking like "+" they were "X". No animals were shot that day.
They replaced it on warranty, its been in a boc in the basement ever since.

My cousin blames his scope and rifle for missing a massive 30" mule deer in Idaho 7 years ago... He missed like 5 times. The guide couldn't believe my cousin missed the biggest mule deer he'd ever seen. My cousin says his scope must be off (I sighted it in for him 2 days prior). I said no way unless you dropped it. He shot at a paper plate taped to a tree missed it completely. His guide shot it, hit dead center, I shot it, also hit dead center. My cousin was just scared of a 300wm and flinched harder than when you pretend to throw a stick for a lab! :ROFLMAO:

Good scopes don’t fail. The hunter may fall or drop gun but a scope is not mechanical so it cannot fail. I always bring another gun on hunts. Always. There are things like weather that can affect your whole gun. Keep your gun at night at the sane temperature you’re hunting or you could “ fog” up or have lots of dew but that’s not the scopes fault. I use only one brand on all my guns. In and out of many planes never ever losing zero. L.
You don't live in the Northwest. Yes they do! Years ago I had a Redfield scope fog up in the rain, cost me a 4X4 Blacktail buck.

You don't live in the Northwest. Yes they do! Years ago I had a Redfield scope fog up in the rain, cost me a 4X4 Blacktail buck.
Um.......... I live in Oregon. I just dont hunt in the jungle. I do hunt in of snow and freezing temps every year.

Had a Nikon fail on a bear hunt in CO once. I slipped in the mud avoiding a puddle in a 2 track and went down on the gun side. Definitely hit the stock on the ground and there was a little smear of mud on the scope. Luckily I was never able to get a shot at a bear so I went home none the wiser. Checked it before deer season and couldn't get it to zero. Sent it in and they sent me a check(this was after they quit making scopes).

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back