Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Rifle hunting for muledeer

mohunter

I am going on my first rifle hunt for muledeer this year and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on what to look for. My hunt dates are Oct. 23-31. Really looking forward to trying to get my first muledeer this year but could use any help available. Also looking forward to some smart ... comments:D. Thanks

Sorry I guess that would be helpful. I am hutning 2nd season in CO. The terrain varies quite a bit but can be any thing from aspens to oak brush on down to sage flats. I am kind of assumeing that I will be hiking alot of timber pockets and through the dark timber. A lof of what i have read says the deer move into the trees after they shed their velvet but before the rut kicks up. I have never killed a muley buck and have only chased them with a bow. Just looking for any pointers out there. While this season isn't the best for deer movement it works well for me because my fall break falls on the weekend before the season so i will have a good 4 days to scout right before season. Thanks again.

All the great Mule Deer hunters dress in drag. Whoa, guess you already have that covered.

Not really familar with CO, other than what I saw from the air around Eagle. Personally Id find a really good vantage point and spend some time there glassing. Still hunting some timber might be worth a shot as well. Use your bino's to pick apart the brush and trees.

Look for warm deer poop. Chances are the deer will be close.

In all seriousness, be where you need to be by daylight, be patient and do what was just suggested to you by the *smith*.

Really good optics, lots of patience. Spend more time looking through the glass than you spend hiking around the area. Practice long range shooting. Most whitetail hunters think 100 yards is a long shot. Practice and become proficient at ranges from 100 to three hundred meters. Make sure you know your rifle.

Dink one of my biggest problems is the hikes through the hills in my stilettos. Any pointers would be great. Also where did you get that fabulous camo dress you have. As far as the shooting goes I have already started my practice and actually went to the range today. I did some hiking yesterday to learn some country. Hoping to get a hold of the agents in the units today and find some more places to start.

mohunter, a word to the wise regarding dinkshooter's advice....he keeps a house cat.:rolleyes:

Yes.....for real.:eek:

Get some sort of GPS tracking device implanted in Breaksrunner without him knowing, a Montana tag, and follow him around. When he passes up a 180 inch beast shoot it and post it on this site.

Oh ya and use Dinks advice as your disguise to get close the Breaksrunner.

I can think of more than one person on this forum that i would like to put a gps tracker on.

All you need is a full takn of gas and plenty of beer to fit right in in Colorado...bonus points for ATV's :)

If you look closely in the top right background you can see my secret weapon, hack hunter,2nd season tip:D

Is this the same unit as the other GJ gay?

JOE06VIRESIZE1.jpg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back