Caribou Gear

Rifle for 11 year old daughter

I'm going to step in here on what Buzz just exposed. It's a bit of ballistics far too few consider.

I've seen whitetails dropped DRT with a 22/250, 250 Savage, 30/30, 35 Rem, 44 Mag and witnessed Far, Far, Far too many blast off at Hell's speed after being hit with a 30/06, never to be recovered.

You don't need a Mag anything to dump a whitetail, mule deer, or Lope.

I'm going to step in here on what Buzz just exposed. It's a bit of ballistics far too few consider.

I've seen whitetails dropped DRT with a 22/250, 250 Savage, 30/30, 35 Rem, 44 Mag and witnessed Far, Far, Far too many blast off at Hell's speed after being hit with a 30/06, never to be recovered.

You don't need a Mag anything to dump a whitetail, mule deer, or Lope.

shot placement is key. getting the bullet to the right spot is the name of the game. if a caliber allows you to do that more consistently im all for it.

I just finished building a youth stock that will fit both my Remington 700s (243 & 220 Swift). I have a youth stock that fits my Savage 30-06 and I have the Howa 2 in 1 308. I have been able to set up for any game from varmints to big game by mostly buying and or building shortened stocks for the guns I already have. I will buy my kids their own when they are grown enough to know what they want and are sure they want to have their own. I have about $70 in the Remington stock and about the same in the savage stock. Since I have a full size Howa stock from the 2in1 looking lonely on the shelf I plan on getting a barrelled action in 6.5 to put in it that will also fit in the youth stock. Because I'm using guns I already had, except for the Howa that I just bought, I have a really good lineup for kids to shoot and get a feel for without spending much money. I've got friends with kids who are planning to come and shoot to see what works for their kids as well. If you have any full size rifles in calibers that you're thinking about for your kids a stock is a cheap way to get them started and hooked before spending the money on a new gun. If you want to use the new shooter as an excuse to get a new gun however I recommend the Howa 2in1 and then you will also have an excuse to get a new barrelled action!

I built an AR-15 chambered in 6.8 SPCII for my 10 year old. The recoil is about like a 223, but it's pushing 100-120gr bullets. Ballistics are pretty decent for deer sized game. The adjustable M-4 stock is great for growing kids. I built this one for about 600 bucks. I was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy. He really enjoys shooting it as well.image.jpg

Back